Nov 4, 2012, 11:56 AM EST
Behind 21 points from point guard Lorenzo Brown, No. 6 NC State defeated Belmont Abbey, 105-80, at PNC Arena in Raleigh, N.C. in the Wolfpack’s lone exhibition tune-up before the start of the regular season.
“I think the takeaway from this game is that in the first part of the second half our shoes were squeaking, we were down and defending and our ball pressure was really good,” said NC State coach Mark Gottfried.
“That generated everything for us. We are a team with some young players in the game and we are still learning where to go with the ball. We have to work on our decision-making.”
Four other players scored in double figures, including 19 points apiece from Richard Howell and T.J. Warren, 18 from C.J. Leslie, and 10 from freshman Rodney Purvis.
This Wolfpack team will rely on production from young players like Warren and Purvis when they tip off the 2012-13 season, something that Gottfried has taken into account.
“We are still in the infant stages with some of those things,” said Gottfried. “I like what we are doing with some of those things. I like the fact that at times we made the extra pass.
“We still turned the ball over way too many times. We were careless. That is something we can’t do and we have to improve on.”
NC State opens the season against Miami (OH) on Nov. 9.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 2
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)