Nov 4, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
Behind 21 points from point guard Lorenzo Brown, No. 6 NC State defeated Belmont Abbey, 105-80, at PNC Arena in Raleigh, N.C. in the Wolfpack’s lone exhibition tune-up before the start of the regular season.
“I think the takeaway from this game is that in the first part of the second half our shoes were squeaking, we were down and defending and our ball pressure was really good,” said NC State coach Mark Gottfried.
“That generated everything for us. We are a team with some young players in the game and we are still learning where to go with the ball. We have to work on our decision-making.”
Four other players scored in double figures, including 19 points apiece from Richard Howell and T.J. Warren, 18 from C.J. Leslie, and 10 from freshman Rodney Purvis.
This Wolfpack team will rely on production from young players like Warren and Purvis when they tip off the 2012-13 season, something that Gottfried has taken into account.
“We are still in the infant stages with some of those things,” said Gottfried. “I like what we are doing with some of those things. I like the fact that at times we made the extra pass.
“We still turned the ball over way too many times. We were careless. That is something we can’t do and we have to improve on.”
NC State opens the season against Miami (OH) on Nov. 9.
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 1
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)