Nov 4, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
Behind 21 points from point guard Lorenzo Brown, No. 6 NC State defeated Belmont Abbey, 105-80, at PNC Arena in Raleigh, N.C. in the Wolfpack’s lone exhibition tune-up before the start of the regular season.
“I think the takeaway from this game is that in the first part of the second half our shoes were squeaking, we were down and defending and our ball pressure was really good,” said NC State coach Mark Gottfried.
“That generated everything for us. We are a team with some young players in the game and we are still learning where to go with the ball. We have to work on our decision-making.”
Four other players scored in double figures, including 19 points apiece from Richard Howell and T.J. Warren, 18 from C.J. Leslie, and 10 from freshman Rodney Purvis.
This Wolfpack team will rely on production from young players like Warren and Purvis when they tip off the 2012-13 season, something that Gottfried has taken into account.
“We are still in the infant stages with some of those things,” said Gottfried. “I like what we are doing with some of those things. I like the fact that at times we made the extra pass.
“We still turned the ball over way too many times. We were careless. That is something we can’t do and we have to improve on.”
NC State opens the season against Miami (OH) on Nov. 9.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)