Nov 4, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT
One of the season-opening games to be played in an unconventional locale on Friday is the Armed Forces Classic, which involves Michigan State and Connecticut at Ramstein Air Base in Germany.
On Sunday Michigan State revealed their special uniforms for the game, which are of the camouflage variety and similar to the jerseys they wore in their game against North Carolina last season.
In addition to the jerseys being camouflage the players’ shoes (laces as well) and socks will be as well.
“I think our players appreciate it,” said head coach Tom Izzo. “We wore them as a tryout today in practice. They look sharp, they feel sharp…hopefully now we’ll play sharp.”
The players were able to work out in the uniforms on Sunday, and they all voiced their approval of the apparel they weren’t allowed to see beforehand.
“We really look like some Army soldiers out here, honestly,” said forward Alex Gauna. “The pattern and everything is so sweet. I really can’t get over how [they look].”
Sophomore guard Keith Appling noted the shoes and the laces, perks the Spartans didn’t receive for the game on the USS Carl Vinson against North Carolina.
As fate should have it all eight teams playing in the four games put together to pay tribute to the military (Ohio State/Marquette, Florida/Georgetown and Syracuse/San Diego State are the other games) are sponsored by Nike and will wear special jerseys.
Photo credit: Michigan State University
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)