Nov 5, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Arkansas’ leading scorer B.J. Young was suspended for the final exhibition game tonight and for the team’s season opener against Sam Houston State for a violation of team rules.
Young, a sophomore, averaged 15.3 points for the Razorbacks last season.
Mike Anderson wouldn’t go into specifics on this matter. Arkansas played without Young and were cruising over LeMoyne-Owen at last check in the team’s final exhibition before the first regular season game, against the Bearkats, on Friday.
Young was an all-SEC selection last season and passed up a shot in the NBA Draft to return to the Razorbacks for his second season with the team.
This doesn’t do much to diminish the hopes of Arkansas and it’s fans this season. The Razorbacks get back a ton of talent, including forward Marshawn Powell, who played in only two games last season before a knew injury forced him to redshirt. The 6-7 Powell was averaging 19.0 points and 6.5 rebounds before the injury.
Expect guards Rickey Scott and Ky Madden to at least pick up the slack in the one game that matters for the Razorbacks. They won’t have to worry about much from Sam Houston State, a team that finished 13-19 last season and returns only one double-figure scorer.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)