Nov 5, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Real, live college basketball games start on Friday, and with all of our glorious preseason content finally finished, this week we will be providing you with water cooler fodder as we roll through a series of Burning Question. You can read them all right here.
Next up: What team in the AP Top 25 is the most likely to miss the NCAA tournament?
No. 13 UCLA:
- (Raphielle Johnson): This is an immensely talented team, there’s no debating that. But who are the leaders? Who are the guys that when they speak in the locker room or on the floor in between plays, everyone else stops and pays attention?
- (Daniel Martin): The Bruins got long-awaited good news when Kyle Anderson was cleared, but that doesn’t mean Ben Howland’s team is out of the woods yet. Star freshman Shabazz Muhammad has yet to learn his fate from the NCAA’s eligibility center, when leaves a big question mark in the starting lineup.
- (Troy Machir): UCLA has no business being ranked in the top-25 right now. There are entirely too many “what ifs” with this team. Shabazz Muhammad may never actually play. Josh Smith has not gotten in shape, no matter how many times he tells us he has. One of the Wear twins is ALWAYS INJURED. Larry Drew II is the starting point guard. If that’s not a huge red flag, then I don’t know what is. This team has a whole lot of proving to do before we should anoint them as anything other than “a possible tournament team”.
No. 23 Wisconsin (Eric Angevine): You can’t just lose your starting point guard and carry on like nothing happened. Not in the Big Ten. Then again, Bo Ryan has NEVER missed the NCAA tournament since he moved to Madison. Not once. Still, no Gasser, no go.
No. 22 Notre Dame (David Harten): The fact that the no. 22 team in the Associated Press Preseason Top 25 might not make the NCAA Tournament shouldn’t be a surprise. It is the preseason and all. But there was a major drop off once Tim Abromaitis went down for his career last season. They do return Jack Cooley, but he’s strictly limited to matters under the basket, and Eric Atkins and Jerian Grant, the third and fourth leading scorers on the team. Turnovers will decide if this team is better than last season’s 22-12 record. They were 335th in the nation in committing them in 2011-12.
No. 11 North Carolina (Rob Dauster): Picking a team at the end of the top 25 would have been a cop-out, and seeing as there is nothing I could have added to the UCLA conversation to top was Troy already said, I’ll go with UNC. The Tar Heels are heading into a similar situation to the 2009-2010 season. They lost four players to the first round of the NBA Draft and are left with a roster that includes a freshman point guard (Marcus Paige), a promising-but-unproved sophomore big man (James Michael McAdoo), and a slew of role players that will be expected to provide a much bigger contribution this year.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Pat Birt was a Horizon League All-Freshman Team selection at UIC last season.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
Keifer Sykes is one of the best dunkers in America, and he was at it again Saturday afternoon.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
The intro video to Tom Izzo’s memorable entrance at “Michigan State Madness” Friday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
While head coach Gib Arnold released a statement saying that the school had yet to receive a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, the administration is considering the option of self-imposing sanctions.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
Byron Samuels already had a tough rebuilding job in front of him as a result of Florida A&M being hit with a postseason ban for low APR numbers.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Mike Young has seen the Wofford men’s basketball program come a long way since he first joined the coaching staff back in 1989.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
A three-star commit on Friday night, a top-70 pledge on Saturday morning. This has been a big weekend for first-year head coach Mike Rhoades.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A story from Syracuse.com says the first-year big man does up to 500 pushups daily.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
This is Danny Manning’s third commitment this month, first in the Class of 2016.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Davidson is gone, but that does not mean that the SoCon will be a bad basketball league.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Only three programs remain in contention for the nation’s top rated point guard.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Pretty good dunk, but still not better than Chris Mack’s entrance.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame coach makes his first comments, several days after Kenneth Wainstein released his report.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Tom Izzo does it again. Add it to the long line of amazing midnight madness entrances.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Chris Mack and his daughters performed ‘Paul Revere’ at Musketeer Madness on Friday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
One of the nation’s highly-touted bigs is closer to making a decision after eliminating two programs from his list.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)