Nov 5, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Real, live college basketball games start on Friday, and with all of our glorious preseason content finally finished, this week we will be providing you with water cooler fodder as we roll through a series of Burning Question. You can read them all right here.
Next up: What team in the AP Top 25 is the most likely to miss the NCAA tournament?
No. 13 UCLA:
- (Raphielle Johnson): This is an immensely talented team, there’s no debating that. But who are the leaders? Who are the guys that when they speak in the locker room or on the floor in between plays, everyone else stops and pays attention?
- (Daniel Martin): The Bruins got long-awaited good news when Kyle Anderson was cleared, but that doesn’t mean Ben Howland’s team is out of the woods yet. Star freshman Shabazz Muhammad has yet to learn his fate from the NCAA’s eligibility center, when leaves a big question mark in the starting lineup.
- (Troy Machir): UCLA has no business being ranked in the top-25 right now. There are entirely too many “what ifs” with this team. Shabazz Muhammad may never actually play. Josh Smith has not gotten in shape, no matter how many times he tells us he has. One of the Wear twins is ALWAYS INJURED. Larry Drew II is the starting point guard. If that’s not a huge red flag, then I don’t know what is. This team has a whole lot of proving to do before we should anoint them as anything other than “a possible tournament team”.
No. 23 Wisconsin (Eric Angevine): You can’t just lose your starting point guard and carry on like nothing happened. Not in the Big Ten. Then again, Bo Ryan has NEVER missed the NCAA tournament since he moved to Madison. Not once. Still, no Gasser, no go.
No. 22 Notre Dame (David Harten): The fact that the no. 22 team in the Associated Press Preseason Top 25 might not make the NCAA Tournament shouldn’t be a surprise. It is the preseason and all. But there was a major drop off once Tim Abromaitis went down for his career last season. They do return Jack Cooley, but he’s strictly limited to matters under the basket, and Eric Atkins and Jerian Grant, the third and fourth leading scorers on the team. Turnovers will decide if this team is better than last season’s 22-12 record. They were 335th in the nation in committing them in 2011-12.
No. 11 North Carolina (Rob Dauster): Picking a team at the end of the top 25 would have been a cop-out, and seeing as there is nothing I could have added to the UCLA conversation to top was Troy already said, I’ll go with UNC. The Tar Heels are heading into a similar situation to the 2009-2010 season. They lost four players to the first round of the NBA Draft and are left with a roster that includes a freshman point guard (Marcus Paige), a promising-but-unproved sophomore big man (James Michael McAdoo), and a slew of role players that will be expected to provide a much bigger contribution this year.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: American at Boston U., 7:30 p.m. The Patriot League’s automatic bid will be handed out this evening as the two best teams in the conference square off. BU has the best back court in the conference with Maurice Watson and D.J. Irving while American sputtered down the stretch, losing five of…
Mar 12, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Zach Lederer, a manager on the Maryland men’s basketball team, passed away last night after a lengthy battle with brain cancer. He was 20. Zach was an inspiration to the basketball team and sparked a meme that went nationwide called ‘Zaching’. Maryland posted this picture of the team ‘Zaching’ this morning in his honor. CSN…
Mar 12, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Regular season champion UC Irvine may have gone 13-3 in Big West play, but look for this tournament to provide a surprise or two.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Doug McDermott’s SI cover pays homage to a man that he passed on the career scoring list weeks ago.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:09 AM EDT
A couple of quick notes about today’s bracket (March 12) update: After securing another West Coast Conference title Tuesday night, the Gonzaga Bulldogs can rest easy while waiting for the 68-team bracket to be revealed on Sunday night. The same can’t be said for Brigham Young. It’s going to be a tense few days for…
Mar 12, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
While there’s a clear favorite in the Pac-12 tournament, there will be plenty of drama with multiple teams looking to lock up a spot in the NCAA tournament.
Mar 12, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
No. 8 San Diego State, No. 20 New Mexico are the clear favorites in Las Vegas. But don’t expect those two teams to simply coast to the title game, either.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:38 AM EDT
Four autobids were decided on Tuesday as the NCAA Tournament has some new entrants into the field of 68. Find out who made the Big Dance and see how BYU is looking after its WCC title game loss.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Gonzaga is back in the tournament for what feels like the 100th straight year, but this team is a bit different than Gonzaga teams of old.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Meet the North Dakota State Bison, the winners of the Summit League and one of the — likely — trendy upset picks in this year’s NCAA Tournament.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
The coaching carousel continued to spin on Tuesday night as Loyola Marymount opted not to renew the contract of head coach Max Good.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:06 PM EDT
Get to know the Northeast Conference tournament champs!
Mar 11, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
The Milwaukee Panthers are dancing after winning four games in the Horizon League Conference Tournament. Meet one of the NCAA Tournament’s more dangerous double-digit seeds here.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
After only two seasons as head coach, Tennessee State has opted to fire head coach Travis Williams.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
The Southland’s top team has been upset in the conference tournament for the past three seasons. Will the trend continue? Or has the arrival of Stephen F. Austin’s new coach, Brad Underwood, altered the trajectory?
Mar 11, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
UNC Wilmington on Tuesday announced that head coach Buzz Peterson is out after four years at the school.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Every year, there are a handful of teams that could use a couple of wins in their respective league tournaments to gain entry into the field of 68. Here are five schools that need to string some wins together this week to feel comfortable making NCAA Tournament.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
In light of the back injury that will keep Joel Embiid out for the Big 12 tournament and could foreseeably saddle him to the bench for the entirety of the NCAA tournament, we decided to take a look at season-ending injuries to key players on past National Title contenders: Kenyon Martin: Cincinnati was the No. 1…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here. Bowling Green will not be renewing the contract of head coach Louis Orr, the school announced on Tuesday. Orr had coached the Falcons for seven seasons, finishing with a 101-121 record and just one season with a .500 record or better. BGSU was 12-20 this past…
- Bracketology: Gonzaga grabs WCC title, BYU waits 0
- 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Preview: No. 4 Arizona looks to cap dominant campaign 1
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)