Nov 5, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
Real, live college basketball games start on Friday, and with all of our glorious preseason content finally finished, this week we will be providing you with water cooler fodder as we roll through a series of Burning Question. You can read them all right here.
Next up: What team in the AP Top 25 is the most likely to miss the NCAA tournament?
No. 13 UCLA:
- (Raphielle Johnson): This is an immensely talented team, there’s no debating that. But who are the leaders? Who are the guys that when they speak in the locker room or on the floor in between plays, everyone else stops and pays attention?
- (Daniel Martin): The Bruins got long-awaited good news when Kyle Anderson was cleared, but that doesn’t mean Ben Howland’s team is out of the woods yet. Star freshman Shabazz Muhammad has yet to learn his fate from the NCAA’s eligibility center, when leaves a big question mark in the starting lineup.
- (Troy Machir): UCLA has no business being ranked in the top-25 right now. There are entirely too many “what ifs” with this team. Shabazz Muhammad may never actually play. Josh Smith has not gotten in shape, no matter how many times he tells us he has. One of the Wear twins is ALWAYS INJURED. Larry Drew II is the starting point guard. If that’s not a huge red flag, then I don’t know what is. This team has a whole lot of proving to do before we should anoint them as anything other than “a possible tournament team”.
No. 23 Wisconsin (Eric Angevine): You can’t just lose your starting point guard and carry on like nothing happened. Not in the Big Ten. Then again, Bo Ryan has NEVER missed the NCAA tournament since he moved to Madison. Not once. Still, no Gasser, no go.
No. 22 Notre Dame (David Harten): The fact that the no. 22 team in the Associated Press Preseason Top 25 might not make the NCAA Tournament shouldn’t be a surprise. It is the preseason and all. But there was a major drop off once Tim Abromaitis went down for his career last season. They do return Jack Cooley, but he’s strictly limited to matters under the basket, and Eric Atkins and Jerian Grant, the third and fourth leading scorers on the team. Turnovers will decide if this team is better than last season’s 22-12 record. They were 335th in the nation in committing them in 2011-12.
No. 11 North Carolina (Rob Dauster): Picking a team at the end of the top 25 would have been a cop-out, and seeing as there is nothing I could have added to the UCLA conversation to top was Troy already said, I’ll go with UNC. The Tar Heels are heading into a similar situation to the 2009-2010 season. They lost four players to the first round of the NBA Draft and are left with a roster that includes a freshman point guard (Marcus Paige), a promising-but-unproved sophomore big man (James Michael McAdoo), and a slew of role players that will be expected to provide a much bigger contribution this year.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Gordon is averaging 10.5 points this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Not a bad way to kick off the Thanksgiving weekend
Nov 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
He was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Angry John Beilein is the best John Beilein.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Pinkston made a couple of huge plays down the stretch.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:10 AM EST
Another busy night of college hoops as the Maui semifinals wrap up and Arkansas gets a statement road win.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Maryland pulled off one of the biggest upsets of the young season as they outplayed No. 13 Iowa State for much of the game in front of a pro-Cyclone crowd in Kansas City.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run
Nov 25, 2014, 10:18 PM EST
As Arizona has struggled to find consistent offense early in the 2014-15 season, the consistency and selfless nature of sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson has allowed Sean Miller to experiment with what works early.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Kansas head coach Bill Self is trying to get through to his players by changing starting lineups.
Nov 25, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
The former national champion still has the touch.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
The Barclays Center Classic doubleheader will air on Friday night on NBC Sports Network.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
The Friars could be depleted on the perimeter against two tough opponents.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
Minnesota will take a hit to its back court with this suspension.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
I hope his joke doesn’t make people ignore the fact the he really felt bad about this.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:43 PM EST
We get some good gauge games on Tuesday night.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Frank Kaminsky and Jahlil Okafor are near the top, but the rest of the top five may surprise you.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:27 PM EST
Benjamin hurt his ankle against Michigan.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Jason McManamen is trying to prove Billy Hoyle and Sidney Dean wrong.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Michigan was dominated on the glass, but the freshman forward stepped up to ice the victory.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Can a team that runs a pressing system truly be one of the nations elite?
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (8)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)