Nov 5, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
In a question-and-answer session with the media on Monday afternoon, Louisville coach Rick Pitino said that the school has lost it’s waiver appeal with the NCAA in regards to the eligibility of center Mangok Mathiang, forcing the Sudan native to sit out this season. He’ll have four years of eligibility remaining beginning for the 2013-14 season.
While this isn’t good news for the program, Pitino said in earlier media sessions that he planned to redshirt Mathiang, a 6-10 raw talent who spent last season at IMG Academy. He was a surprise reclassification — he moved from the Class of 2013 to 2012 late in the summer — committing and signing with the Cardinals in August. He was cleared academically shortly after the semester started.
Without the option of Mathiang, who, again, was going to redshirt anyway, the depth behind starter Gorgui Dieng is still solid. Stephen Van Treese and Zach Price give the center position a three-deep look, with power forwards freshman Montrezl Harrell and sophomore Chane Behanan adding plenty of beef down low.
Though no team wants to lose an appeal like this, it was a formality. It will also give Mathiang time to bulk up, which he sorely needs to do at just 200 pounds.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)