Nov 5, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
In a question-and-answer session with the media on Monday afternoon, Louisville coach Rick Pitino said that the school has lost it’s waiver appeal with the NCAA in regards to the eligibility of center Mangok Mathiang, forcing the Sudan native to sit out this season. He’ll have four years of eligibility remaining beginning for the 2013-14 season.
While this isn’t good news for the program, Pitino said in earlier media sessions that he planned to redshirt Mathiang, a 6-10 raw talent who spent last season at IMG Academy. He was a surprise reclassification — he moved from the Class of 2013 to 2012 late in the summer — committing and signing with the Cardinals in August. He was cleared academically shortly after the semester started.
Without the option of Mathiang, who, again, was going to redshirt anyway, the depth behind starter Gorgui Dieng is still solid. Stephen Van Treese and Zach Price give the center position a three-deep look, with power forwards freshman Montrezl Harrell and sophomore Chane Behanan adding plenty of beef down low.
Though no team wants to lose an appeal like this, it was a formality. It will also give Mathiang time to bulk up, which he sorely needs to do at just 200 pounds.
- Despite allegations Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 0
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights