Nov 5, 2012, 9:20 PM EST
Big news out of Marquette as guard Todd Mayo was declared academically ineligible, the school announced on Monday.
Mayo, brother of O.J. (sounds weird if you don’t know that I don’t mean food), appeared in 35 games as a freshman in 2011-12, averaging 7.9 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 21.1 minutes per game for the Golden Eagles.
“Todd understands success in our program requires a sincere commitment to excellence on and off the floor. I’m extremely disappointed he’s put himself in this position, but he has the full support of our program as he works to improve,” coach Buzz Williams said in a release from the school.
This is more of a depth hit than anything for Marquette. Junior Cadougan is a senior and the point guard (a team-leading 5.4 apg last season) and both he and Vander Blue can absorb the minutes, along with the scoring load that Mayo carried. Blue poured in 8.4 ppg last season. There’s also the addition of Arizona State transfer Trent Lockett, who is immediately eligible this season, who will further the depth and is more than likely going to be a starter.
This is tough for any player, but especially a kid with the last name Mayo, whose brother didn’t have the cleanest college (or prep) career — albeit a short one. He’s definitely got the game and there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to rebound for a solid rest of his college career.
There’s no word on how long this will last, but from the looks of it, it may be the season.
This is a loss Marquette can no doubt afford. But Mayo was going to be a reliable scoring threat for the team this season, and they’ll have to put someone in his place quick to make sure it doesn’t affect the early season games.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)