Nov 5, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
Big news out of Marquette as guard Todd Mayo was declared academically ineligible, the school announced on Monday.
Mayo, brother of O.J. (sounds weird if you don’t know that I don’t mean food), appeared in 35 games as a freshman in 2011-12, averaging 7.9 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 21.1 minutes per game for the Golden Eagles.
“Todd understands success in our program requires a sincere commitment to excellence on and off the floor. I’m extremely disappointed he’s put himself in this position, but he has the full support of our program as he works to improve,” coach Buzz Williams said in a release from the school.
This is more of a depth hit than anything for Marquette. Junior Cadougan is a senior and the point guard (a team-leading 5.4 apg last season) and both he and Vander Blue can absorb the minutes, along with the scoring load that Mayo carried. Blue poured in 8.4 ppg last season. There’s also the addition of Arizona State transfer Trent Lockett, who is immediately eligible this season, who will further the depth and is more than likely going to be a starter.
This is tough for any player, but especially a kid with the last name Mayo, whose brother didn’t have the cleanest college (or prep) career — albeit a short one. He’s definitely got the game and there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to rebound for a solid rest of his college career.
There’s no word on how long this will last, but from the looks of it, it may be the season.
This is a loss Marquette can no doubt afford. But Mayo was going to be a reliable scoring threat for the team this season, and they’ll have to put someone in his place quick to make sure it doesn’t affect the early season games.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit