Nov 5, 2012, 11:16 AM EDT
Kenny Kaminski is a big-bodied, sharp-shooting freshman at Michigan State this season.
Unfortunately, for him, Kaminski has a bum shoulder, one that kept him out during his senior season in high school and cost him the past three months after he tore a labrum.
And while the progress Kaminski has made in his recovery has allowed him to start shooting the ball again, there’s still a chance the he ends up redshirting this season. Would it be worth wasting a year’s worth of eligibility for a guy that’s not 100% and will be playing behind Adreian Payne and Derrick Nix?
Given those facts, it should make you curious when MLive.com publishes an extensive feature on Kaminski and why he chose the No. 30. Grab a tissue before you read it:
3 and nobody else.
That’s who Michigan State forward Kenny Kaminski had on his mind when at the start of his college career he selected the No. 30 to wear on his chest in memory of a fallen friend.
No. 3 was Dorian Dawkins, who collapsed during a high school game on the Michigan State campus three summers ago and died, a heart defect cutting short a dream at age 14.
As AAU teammates, Dawkins, Kaminski and Matt Costello fantasized about one day playing for the Spartans together. Three years later, as Costello and Kaminski arrived in East Lansing as roommates and a part of Tom Izzo’s recruiting class, they did so with Dawkins with them in spirit.
“He’s always here in my heart,” Kaminski said. “I’m always thinking about him.
“He’s always going to be there and nobody else. 3 and nobody.”
It’s a sad story, but it’s one worth reading and knowing about.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 2
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (5)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)