Nov 6, 2012, 3:34 PM EDT
George Mason coach Paul Hewitt has suspended sophomores Erik Copes and Vaughn Gray for the first three games of the 2012-13 regular season for unspecified “student conduct violations,” the school announced Tuesday.
Copes, a 6-8 native of Philadelphia, averaged 3.3 points and 3.7 rebounds in 15 minutes per game last season. Gray, a 6-5 native of New Jersey, averaged 3.4 points per game in 2011-12.
The suspension covers the Patriots’ home opener against Virginia on Nov. 9, GMU’s first road game against Bucknell on Nov. 13, and again at home versus Mercer on Nov. 16.
The two would be able to return for the second game of the Paradise Jam in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. Copes and Gray will continue to practice with the team, but will not play in games.
George Mason enters its second season under Hewitt picked to finish third in the CAA, behind conference favorite Drexel and popular underdog Delaware.
Their biggest challenge will be to compensate for the loss of leading scorer and rebounder Ryan Pearson, who graduated after averaging 17 points and 8.2 rebounds per game in 2011-12.
To help fill the void, Hewitt welcomes a two-man recruiting class to Fairfax, guard Patrick Holloway and forward Marko Gujanicic.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4