Nov 6, 2012, 12:57 PM EDT
Mississippi State freshman wing Andre Applewhite will undergo season-ending knee surgery after tearing the ACL and meniscus in his left knee, the school announced Tuesday.
Applewhite, a 6-5 native of Memphis, Tenn., suffered the injuries in practice Friday and becomes the second Mississippi State player to tear his ACL in three months after fellow Jacoby Davis suffered the same injury in July.
New head coach Rick Ray is now left with eight scholarship players for the Bulldogs’ season opener against Troy on Friday.
Ray welcomes a seven-man recruiting class to Starkville after a mass exodus of players followed former coach Rick Stansbury out the door after the 2011-12 season. Among the key departures are forward Arnett Moultrie, now with the Philadelphia 76ers, guard Dee Bost, and center Renardo Sidney.
The Bulldogs were chosen to finish last in the SEC coaches poll for the 2012-13 season.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)