Nov 6, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
For the first time in, well, ever, we have a college basketball game that is rained out.
No. 9 Syracuse was scheduled to take on No. 20 San Diego State in the Battle of the Midway on Friday evening, but with forecasts showing a 75% chance of rain, organizers were forced to make a decision: play the game indoors or postpone it.
They chose the latter. The new tip-off time is 4 p.m. ET on Sunday. And yes, it will be played on the USS Midway.
“We remain committed to this once-in-a-lifetime experience for our student-athletes and our fans,” Syracuse athletic director Dr. Daryl Gross said in a statement. “We are very sorry for the inconvenience this change may have caused our fans. The weather predictions have forced the postponement.”
SDSU also had to push a game scheduled for Sunday back to that Tuesday.
The only people I really feel bad for here are any Syracuse fans that made the decision to fly in for the game. Rescheduling flights and rebooking hotel rooms are not only a pain in the hindquarters, but they can cost a pretty penny as well.
The Battle of the Midway is one of four games being played in military locales this weekend. Michigan State and UConn are playing on a base in Germany, Florida plays Georgetown on a aircraft carrier in Jacksonville, and Ohio State will be taking on Marquette on a boat in Charleston.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 0
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)