Nov 6, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
For the first time in, well, ever, we have a college basketball game that is rained out.
No. 9 Syracuse was scheduled to take on No. 20 San Diego State in the Battle of the Midway on Friday evening, but with forecasts showing a 75% chance of rain, organizers were forced to make a decision: play the game indoors or postpone it.
They chose the latter. The new tip-off time is 4 p.m. ET on Sunday. And yes, it will be played on the USS Midway.
“We remain committed to this once-in-a-lifetime experience for our student-athletes and our fans,” Syracuse athletic director Dr. Daryl Gross said in a statement. “We are very sorry for the inconvenience this change may have caused our fans. The weather predictions have forced the postponement.”
SDSU also had to push a game scheduled for Sunday back to that Tuesday.
The only people I really feel bad for here are any Syracuse fans that made the decision to fly in for the game. Rescheduling flights and rebooking hotel rooms are not only a pain in the hindquarters, but they can cost a pretty penny as well.
The Battle of the Midway is one of four games being played in military locales this weekend. Michigan State and UConn are playing on a base in Germany, Florida plays Georgetown on a aircraft carrier in Jacksonville, and Ohio State will be taking on Marquette on a boat in Charleston.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)