Nov 6, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
For the first time in, well, ever, we have a college basketball game that is rained out.
No. 9 Syracuse was scheduled to take on No. 20 San Diego State in the Battle of the Midway on Friday evening, but with forecasts showing a 75% chance of rain, organizers were forced to make a decision: play the game indoors or postpone it.
They chose the latter. The new tip-off time is 4 p.m. ET on Sunday. And yes, it will be played on the USS Midway.
“We remain committed to this once-in-a-lifetime experience for our student-athletes and our fans,” Syracuse athletic director Dr. Daryl Gross said in a statement. “We are very sorry for the inconvenience this change may have caused our fans. The weather predictions have forced the postponement.”
SDSU also had to push a game scheduled for Sunday back to that Tuesday.
The only people I really feel bad for here are any Syracuse fans that made the decision to fly in for the game. Rescheduling flights and rebooking hotel rooms are not only a pain in the hindquarters, but they can cost a pretty penny as well.
The Battle of the Midway is one of four games being played in military locales this weekend. Michigan State and UConn are playing on a base in Germany, Florida plays Georgetown on a aircraft carrier in Jacksonville, and Ohio State will be taking on Marquette on a boat in Charleston.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)