Nov 6, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
For the first time in, well, ever, we have a college basketball game that is rained out.
No. 9 Syracuse was scheduled to take on No. 20 San Diego State in the Battle of the Midway on Friday evening, but with forecasts showing a 75% chance of rain, organizers were forced to make a decision: play the game indoors or postpone it.
They chose the latter. The new tip-off time is 4 p.m. ET on Sunday. And yes, it will be played on the USS Midway.
“We remain committed to this once-in-a-lifetime experience for our student-athletes and our fans,” Syracuse athletic director Dr. Daryl Gross said in a statement. “We are very sorry for the inconvenience this change may have caused our fans. The weather predictions have forced the postponement.”
SDSU also had to push a game scheduled for Sunday back to that Tuesday.
The only people I really feel bad for here are any Syracuse fans that made the decision to fly in for the game. Rescheduling flights and rebooking hotel rooms are not only a pain in the hindquarters, but they can cost a pretty penny as well.
The Battle of the Midway is one of four games being played in military locales this weekend. Michigan State and UConn are playing on a base in Germany, Florida plays Georgetown on a aircraft carrier in Jacksonville, and Ohio State will be taking on Marquette on a boat in Charleston.
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 1
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 1
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 54
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 8
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 13
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (60)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)