Nov 6, 2012, 5:28 PM EST
For the first time in, well, ever, we have a college basketball game that is rained out.
No. 9 Syracuse was scheduled to take on No. 20 San Diego State in the Battle of the Midway on Friday evening, but with forecasts showing a 75% chance of rain, organizers were forced to make a decision: play the game indoors or postpone it.
They chose the latter. The new tip-off time is 4 p.m. ET on Sunday. And yes, it will be played on the USS Midway.
“We remain committed to this once-in-a-lifetime experience for our student-athletes and our fans,” Syracuse athletic director Dr. Daryl Gross said in a statement. “We are very sorry for the inconvenience this change may have caused our fans. The weather predictions have forced the postponement.”
SDSU also had to push a game scheduled for Sunday back to that Tuesday.
The only people I really feel bad for here are any Syracuse fans that made the decision to fly in for the game. Rescheduling flights and rebooking hotel rooms are not only a pain in the hindquarters, but they can cost a pretty penny as well.
The Battle of the Midway is one of four games being played in military locales this weekend. Michigan State and UConn are playing on a base in Germany, Florida plays Georgetown on a aircraft carrier in Jacksonville, and Ohio State will be taking on Marquette on a boat in Charleston.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)