Nov 6, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
The NCAA announced on Tuesday evening that it has handed down nine game suspensions to two Indiana freshmen, Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin, as a punishment for secondary violations they committed while in high school. The Hoosiers will appeal the ruling.
Those violations stem from the athlete’s relationship with a man named Mark Adams. Adams donated $185 to Indiana’s Varsity Club over a seven year period more than two decades ago, and because of that payment, he’s considered a booster for the program.
Adams was the AAU coach for both players and the guardian for Perea, meaning that the benefits he provided them — $14,000 in lap tops, cell phones, plane tickets, meals and housing — would not have been a violation had he not given that $185 to Indiana more than two decades ago. There have been rumors swirling about Adams’ relationship with Indiana over the years — ESPN ran a series on it last April — which may be why the punishments handed down were so harsh.
In addition to the suspensions, Jurkin has to repay $250 and Perea $1,588.69 to a charity of their choosing.
You can read the full statements from both Indiana and the NCAA here.
- Bracketology: Gonzaga grabs WCC title, BYU waits 0
- 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Preview: No. 4 Arizona looks to cap dominant campaign 1
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)