Nov 6, 2012, 8:25 PM EST
The NCAA announced on Tuesday evening that it has handed down nine game suspensions to two Indiana freshmen, Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin, as a punishment for secondary violations they committed while in high school. The Hoosiers will appeal the ruling.
Those violations stem from the athlete’s relationship with a man named Mark Adams. Adams donated $185 to Indiana’s Varsity Club over a seven year period more than two decades ago, and because of that payment, he’s considered a booster for the program.
Adams was the AAU coach for both players and the guardian for Perea, meaning that the benefits he provided them — $14,000 in lap tops, cell phones, plane tickets, meals and housing — would not have been a violation had he not given that $185 to Indiana more than two decades ago. There have been rumors swirling about Adams’ relationship with Indiana over the years — ESPN ran a series on it last April — which may be why the punishments handed down were so harsh.
In addition to the suspensions, Jurkin has to repay $250 and Perea $1,588.69 to a charity of their choosing.
You can read the full statements from both Indiana and the NCAA here.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)