Nov 6, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
The NCAA announced on Tuesday evening that it has handed down nine game suspensions to two Indiana freshmen, Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin, as a punishment for secondary violations they committed while in high school. The Hoosiers will appeal the ruling.
Those violations stem from the athlete’s relationship with a man named Mark Adams. Adams donated $185 to Indiana’s Varsity Club over a seven year period more than two decades ago, and because of that payment, he’s considered a booster for the program.
Adams was the AAU coach for both players and the guardian for Perea, meaning that the benefits he provided them — $14,000 in lap tops, cell phones, plane tickets, meals and housing — would not have been a violation had he not given that $185 to Indiana more than two decades ago. There have been rumors swirling about Adams’ relationship with Indiana over the years — ESPN ran a series on it last April — which may be why the punishments handed down were so harsh.
In addition to the suspensions, Jurkin has to repay $250 and Perea $1,588.69 to a charity of their choosing.
You can read the full statements from both Indiana and the NCAA here.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Time lapse of Iowa State’s refurbished court (VIDEO) (1)