Nov 6, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
The NCAA announced on Tuesday evening that it has handed down nine game suspensions to two Indiana freshmen, Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin, as a punishment for secondary violations they committed while in high school. The Hoosiers will appeal the ruling.
Those violations stem from the athlete’s relationship with a man named Mark Adams. Adams donated $185 to Indiana’s Varsity Club over a seven year period more than two decades ago, and because of that payment, he’s considered a booster for the program.
Adams was the AAU coach for both players and the guardian for Perea, meaning that the benefits he provided them — $14,000 in lap tops, cell phones, plane tickets, meals and housing — would not have been a violation had he not given that $185 to Indiana more than two decades ago. There have been rumors swirling about Adams’ relationship with Indiana over the years — ESPN ran a series on it last April — which may be why the punishments handed down were so harsh.
In addition to the suspensions, Jurkin has to repay $250 and Perea $1,588.69 to a charity of their choosing.
You can read the full statements from both Indiana and the NCAA here.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)