Nov 7, 2012, 1:58 PM EST
Tennessee will be without forward Jeronne Maymon for the start of the 2012-13 season but, according to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, Cuonzo Martin and the Volunteers are prepared.
“I don’t have an exact timetable, but I know he won’t be ready for the first game,” Martin told the paper. “The thing with not having him here right now and not being in practice, you get a chance to play without him.
“If you have games, and all of the sudden he misses five games where he’s already been in the rotation, that’s tough because it’s a major adjustment and it’s hard to bounce back. Since he hasn’t been in a lot of practice situations, guys have a chance to really make some adjustments.”
Maymon is coming off a season in which he averaged 12.7 points and 8.1 rebounds per game for the Volunteers, but underwent surgery on his knee in the off-season. He “suffered a setback” two weeks ago, according to Martin, but he is expected to return at some point.
Maymon was named a Preseason Second Team All-SEC player and, paired with sophomore Jarnell Stokes, creates a solid frontcourt that could challenge for a top spot in the conference if he is healthy.
Tennessee opens its season on Friday at home against Kennesaw State.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 9
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (9)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)