Nov 7, 2012, 1:58 PM EDT
Tennessee will be without forward Jeronne Maymon for the start of the 2012-13 season but, according to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, Cuonzo Martin and the Volunteers are prepared.
“I don’t have an exact timetable, but I know he won’t be ready for the first game,” Martin told the paper. “The thing with not having him here right now and not being in practice, you get a chance to play without him.
“If you have games, and all of the sudden he misses five games where he’s already been in the rotation, that’s tough because it’s a major adjustment and it’s hard to bounce back. Since he hasn’t been in a lot of practice situations, guys have a chance to really make some adjustments.”
Maymon is coming off a season in which he averaged 12.7 points and 8.1 rebounds per game for the Volunteers, but underwent surgery on his knee in the off-season. He “suffered a setback” two weeks ago, according to Martin, but he is expected to return at some point.
Maymon was named a Preseason Second Team All-SEC player and, paired with sophomore Jarnell Stokes, creates a solid frontcourt that could challenge for a top spot in the conference if he is healthy.
Tennessee opens its season on Friday at home against Kennesaw State.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 0
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)