Nov 7, 2012, 1:58 PM EDT
Tennessee will be without forward Jeronne Maymon for the start of the 2012-13 season but, according to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, Cuonzo Martin and the Volunteers are prepared.
“I don’t have an exact timetable, but I know he won’t be ready for the first game,” Martin told the paper. “The thing with not having him here right now and not being in practice, you get a chance to play without him.
“If you have games, and all of the sudden he misses five games where he’s already been in the rotation, that’s tough because it’s a major adjustment and it’s hard to bounce back. Since he hasn’t been in a lot of practice situations, guys have a chance to really make some adjustments.”
Maymon is coming off a season in which he averaged 12.7 points and 8.1 rebounds per game for the Volunteers, but underwent surgery on his knee in the off-season. He “suffered a setback” two weeks ago, according to Martin, but he is expected to return at some point.
Maymon was named a Preseason Second Team All-SEC player and, paired with sophomore Jarnell Stokes, creates a solid frontcourt that could challenge for a top spot in the conference if he is healthy.
Tennessee opens its season on Friday at home against Kennesaw State.
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)