Nov 7, 2012, 1:58 PM EDT
Tennessee will be without forward Jeronne Maymon for the start of the 2012-13 season but, according to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, Cuonzo Martin and the Volunteers are prepared.
“I don’t have an exact timetable, but I know he won’t be ready for the first game,” Martin told the paper. “The thing with not having him here right now and not being in practice, you get a chance to play without him.
“If you have games, and all of the sudden he misses five games where he’s already been in the rotation, that’s tough because it’s a major adjustment and it’s hard to bounce back. Since he hasn’t been in a lot of practice situations, guys have a chance to really make some adjustments.”
Maymon is coming off a season in which he averaged 12.7 points and 8.1 rebounds per game for the Volunteers, but underwent surgery on his knee in the off-season. He “suffered a setback” two weeks ago, according to Martin, but he is expected to return at some point.
Maymon was named a Preseason Second Team All-SEC player and, paired with sophomore Jarnell Stokes, creates a solid frontcourt that could challenge for a top spot in the conference if he is healthy.
Tennessee opens its season on Friday at home against Kennesaw State.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)