Nov 7, 2012, 1:58 PM EDT
Tennessee will be without forward Jeronne Maymon for the start of the 2012-13 season but, according to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, Cuonzo Martin and the Volunteers are prepared.
“I don’t have an exact timetable, but I know he won’t be ready for the first game,” Martin told the paper. “The thing with not having him here right now and not being in practice, you get a chance to play without him.
“If you have games, and all of the sudden he misses five games where he’s already been in the rotation, that’s tough because it’s a major adjustment and it’s hard to bounce back. Since he hasn’t been in a lot of practice situations, guys have a chance to really make some adjustments.”
Maymon is coming off a season in which he averaged 12.7 points and 8.1 rebounds per game for the Volunteers, but underwent surgery on his knee in the off-season. He “suffered a setback” two weeks ago, according to Martin, but he is expected to return at some point.
Maymon was named a Preseason Second Team All-SEC player and, paired with sophomore Jarnell Stokes, creates a solid frontcourt that could challenge for a top spot in the conference if he is healthy.
Tennessee opens its season on Friday at home against Kennesaw State.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)