Nov 7, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Barack Obama was re-elected as President of the United States. This is a special day for me not because of any political affiliation but because I got my start in college hoops this very week in 2008. Here’s to four more years of entertaining hoops insight.
For the record, I voted for the trio of Robert Pack, Calbert Cheney and Rex Chapman for council seats in Maryland.
#ReadoftheDay: North Carolina State assistant coach Bobby Lutz provides a phenomenal diary entry about dealing with loss of his father and how his faith and family strengthened his resolve. Read it. (College Chalk Talk)
Battle of the Midway is postponed due to weather: This is exactly why you shouldn’t get overzealous about hosting basketball games outdoors. The first annual event scheduled between San Diego State and Syracuse will be moved from Friday evening to Sunday at 4 p.m. due to an impeding rain storm in Southern California.
Buzz Williams likes taking JuCo transfers and has no qualms about it: The charismatic Marquette head coach defended his philosophy on recruiting JuCo transfers. With guys like Jae Crowder, Darius Johnson-Odom, Jimmy Butler and Dwight Buycks all having successful collegiate careers following a stint in the JuCo ranks, the results speak for themselves.
Is Isaiah Canaan the most likely preseason All-American to not meet expectations?: The Murray State superstar made the list of preseason All-Americans most likely to not make the list at the end of the season.
Which preseason All-American snub will make the list at the end of the season?: The talented group of writers here at NBC Sports College Basketball Talk detailed their selections of All-American breakout players.
– Talented Indiana big-men Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin have been suspended for the first nine games of the season due to eligibility issues. The general consensus is that the NCAA got this one wrong. Way wrong. Make sure you read all four of these posts. (Crimson Quarry, Hoosier Scoop, Inside The Hall)
– Siena head coach Mitch Buonaguro has suspended sophomores Rakeem Brookins and Trinity Burdine for three games due to unspecified reasons (Albany Times-Union)
– George Mason sophomores Eric Copes and Vaughn Gray have been suspended three games for student-athlete conduct violations (GoMason.com)
– Highly touted Seton Hall commit Aquille Carr has opted against transferring high schools because of his court-issued community service hours (South Orange Juice)
– Florida forward Casey Prather may not participate in the season opener due to receiving his second concussion in seven days (Gator Country)
– Washington sophomore forward Shawn Kemp Jr. will miss 6-8 weeks due to a torn patella tendon (Seattle Times)
Observations & Analysis:
– Andy Glockner provides fantastic insight on the mid-major programs on the rise (Sports Illustrated)
– Miami wasn’t the only Division-I program to loss an exhibition game this past weekend. Holy Cross did as well, and while the Crusaders are not at the level of the Miami Hurricanes, an exhibition loss could be a blessing in disguise. (Hoopville)
– College referees are going to make sure that they perfect the block/charge rule this season (Sporting News)
– Last year it was Lehigh, Ohio and Norfolk State. What mid-majors are the most likely to make noise in the NCAA Tournament? (Rush The Court)
– Part two of Rush The Court’s “68 must-see games of 2012-2013″ (Rush The Court)
Odds & Ends:
– There is a lot to be excited for in the Big Sky Conference this season. (The Upset Blog)
– Where on Earth would you ever need to use baby blue camouflage? Marquette revealed their military-themed uniforms for the Carrier Classic. Personally, I would have gone with midnight blue and gold digital camo. (Fox Sports Wisconsin)
– Georgetown’s camouflage uniforms are much less gaudy and much more realistic. (Casual Hoya)
– ESPN held a fantasy college basketball draft among four hoops experts on Tuesday. They want to know who has the best team. Oh and they drafted coaches and venues too. (ESPN)
– I agree, there is no need to put a lot of stock in preseason lists, polls, and bracketology (Mid-Major Madness)
– I love this. More programs need to follow La Salle’s direction. The Explorers are offering free admission to all veterens for Saturday’s home opener against Delaware. (Pickin’ Splinters)
Tweet of the Day:
@DanielJMartin_ NBC News calls election for Obama. For those who wanted a President Romney NCAA tournament bracket, you may never see one
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Apr 27, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Rutgers added a potential starter for next season on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
N.C. State landed a surprise commitment from an athletic 2015 forward on Monday night.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
The NCAA is considering moving the shot clock to 30 seconds in men’s basketball.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Florida guard Eli Carter will transfer.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Duke picked up its second major commitment in recent weeks with the addition of five-star wing Brandon Ingram.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Here’s seven takeaways from a busy weekend at the three shoe company events.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
Brandon Ingram is a top five recruit in the class.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
Tatum might be the best player in the Class of 2016.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
It will feature a preseason top five team.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EDT
Who were the biggest losers of the early entry deadline?
Apr 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Which potential draft picks returning to school will be the most influential in 2015-16?
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
Hatch is one of the most inspirational people you will ever hear about
Apr 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The return of Buddy Hield pushes previously unranked Oklahoma into our way too early rankings.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Who’s going pro? Who’s returning to school? Who are we still waiting to hear from?
Apr 26, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
Collins averaged 7.1 points and 5.2 assists per game last season, and his arrival could lead to Alex Caruso getting more scoring opportunities off the ball.
Apr 26, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
Robinson has quite the rebuilding job on his hands, but guard LeAntwan Luckett (16.3 ppg) is one of the team’s top four scorers who have eligibility remaining.
Apr 26, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Dominic Green was released from his National Letter of Intent to Arizona State a couple weeks ago.
Apr 26, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT
In addition to making graduates sit out a year, there’s also consideration of the idea that schools can restrict where they can go.
Apr 26, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Nick Noskowiak joins former Arkansas guard Nick Babb as players who have committed to Iowa State this month.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT
Skinner was the longtime coach of Boston College.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)