Nov 7, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Barack Obama was re-elected as President of the United States. This is a special day for me not because of any political affiliation but because I got my start in college hoops this very week in 2008. Here’s to four more years of entertaining hoops insight.
For the record, I voted for the trio of Robert Pack, Calbert Cheney and Rex Chapman for council seats in Maryland.
#ReadoftheDay: North Carolina State assistant coach Bobby Lutz provides a phenomenal diary entry about dealing with loss of his father and how his faith and family strengthened his resolve. Read it. (College Chalk Talk)
Battle of the Midway is postponed due to weather: This is exactly why you shouldn’t get overzealous about hosting basketball games outdoors. The first annual event scheduled between San Diego State and Syracuse will be moved from Friday evening to Sunday at 4 p.m. due to an impeding rain storm in Southern California.
Buzz Williams likes taking JuCo transfers and has no qualms about it: The charismatic Marquette head coach defended his philosophy on recruiting JuCo transfers. With guys like Jae Crowder, Darius Johnson-Odom, Jimmy Butler and Dwight Buycks all having successful collegiate careers following a stint in the JuCo ranks, the results speak for themselves.
Is Isaiah Canaan the most likely preseason All-American to not meet expectations?: The Murray State superstar made the list of preseason All-Americans most likely to not make the list at the end of the season.
Which preseason All-American snub will make the list at the end of the season?: The talented group of writers here at NBC Sports College Basketball Talk detailed their selections of All-American breakout players.
– Talented Indiana big-men Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin have been suspended for the first nine games of the season due to eligibility issues. The general consensus is that the NCAA got this one wrong. Way wrong. Make sure you read all four of these posts. (Crimson Quarry, Hoosier Scoop, Inside The Hall)
- Siena head coach Mitch Buonaguro has suspended sophomores Rakeem Brookins and Trinity Burdine for three games due to unspecified reasons (Albany Times-Union)
- George Mason sophomores Eric Copes and Vaughn Gray have been suspended three games for student-athlete conduct violations (GoMason.com)
- Highly touted Seton Hall commit Aquille Carr has opted against transferring high schools because of his court-issued community service hours (South Orange Juice)
- Florida forward Casey Prather may not participate in the season opener due to receiving his second concussion in seven days (Gator Country)
- Washington sophomore forward Shawn Kemp Jr. will miss 6-8 weeks due to a torn patella tendon (Seattle Times)
Observations & Analysis:
– Andy Glockner provides fantastic insight on the mid-major programs on the rise (Sports Illustrated)
- Miami wasn’t the only Division-I program to loss an exhibition game this past weekend. Holy Cross did as well, and while the Crusaders are not at the level of the Miami Hurricanes, an exhibition loss could be a blessing in disguise. (Hoopville)
- College referees are going to make sure that they perfect the block/charge rule this season (Sporting News)
- Last year it was Lehigh, Ohio and Norfolk State. What mid-majors are the most likely to make noise in the NCAA Tournament? (Rush The Court)
- Part two of Rush The Court’s “68 must-see games of 2012-2013″ (Rush The Court)
Odds & Ends:
– There is a lot to be excited for in the Big Sky Conference this season. (The Upset Blog)
- Where on Earth would you ever need to use baby blue camouflage? Marquette revealed their military-themed uniforms for the Carrier Classic. Personally, I would have gone with midnight blue and gold digital camo. (Fox Sports Wisconsin)
- Georgetown’s camouflage uniforms are much less gaudy and much more realistic. (Casual Hoya)
- ESPN held a fantasy college basketball draft among four hoops experts on Tuesday. They want to know who has the best team. Oh and they drafted coaches and venues too. (ESPN)
- I agree, there is no need to put a lot of stock in preseason lists, polls, and bracketology (Mid-Major Madness)
- I love this. More programs need to follow La Salle’s direction. The Explorers are offering free admission to all veterens for Saturday’s home opener against Delaware. (Pickin’ Splinters)
Tweet of the Day:
@DanielJMartin_ NBC News calls election for Obama. For those who wanted a President Romney NCAA tournament bracket, you may never see one
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Sep 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Wisconsin picked up a 2015 commitment on Sunday morning.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
LSU is on the board in the 2017 class.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Five-star 2016 guard Kobi Simmons is electric.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Three Mountain West programs and one Big Ten program among the schools on the Las Vegas native’s list.
Sep 20, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
The elite PG from New Jersey had his first in-person meeting with Kentucky head coach John Calipari on Thursday.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
The South Charleston HS floor general was one of the state’s best players last season, and he could prep for a year before joining the WVU program.
Sep 20, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
The son of a former national champion has made a name for himself by scoring 28 points per game as a junior.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Mount St. Mary’s rewarded head coach Jamion Christian with an extension.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Gonzaga has one of its deepest teams of all time and the Bulldogs are challenging themselves with a difficult non-conference schedule.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Bradley forward Auston Barnes has been charged with misdemeanor domestic battery following an August arrest.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt and head coach Jamie Dixon no longer hold a commitment from a former 2016 recruit.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
A three-star forward has four schools that are heavily involved.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Matt McQuaid can really light it up from the perimeter.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman is ranked the No. 10 overall recruit by Rivals.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Kentucky fans camped out on Monday in order to officially camp out for tickets on Wednesday morning.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The Rhode Island forward is eligible after missing the 2013-2014 season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
He was arrested on Feb. 14.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The Yellow Jackets have added two new assistant to the coaching staff this offseason.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)