Nov 7, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Barack Obama was re-elected as President of the United States. This is a special day for me not because of any political affiliation but because I got my start in college hoops this very week in 2008. Here’s to four more years of entertaining hoops insight.
For the record, I voted for the trio of Robert Pack, Calbert Cheney and Rex Chapman for council seats in Maryland.
#ReadoftheDay: North Carolina State assistant coach Bobby Lutz provides a phenomenal diary entry about dealing with loss of his father and how his faith and family strengthened his resolve. Read it. (College Chalk Talk)
Battle of the Midway is postponed due to weather: This is exactly why you shouldn’t get overzealous about hosting basketball games outdoors. The first annual event scheduled between San Diego State and Syracuse will be moved from Friday evening to Sunday at 4 p.m. due to an impeding rain storm in Southern California.
Buzz Williams likes taking JuCo transfers and has no qualms about it: The charismatic Marquette head coach defended his philosophy on recruiting JuCo transfers. With guys like Jae Crowder, Darius Johnson-Odom, Jimmy Butler and Dwight Buycks all having successful collegiate careers following a stint in the JuCo ranks, the results speak for themselves.
Is Isaiah Canaan the most likely preseason All-American to not meet expectations?: The Murray State superstar made the list of preseason All-Americans most likely to not make the list at the end of the season.
Which preseason All-American snub will make the list at the end of the season?: The talented group of writers here at NBC Sports College Basketball Talk detailed their selections of All-American breakout players.
– Talented Indiana big-men Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin have been suspended for the first nine games of the season due to eligibility issues. The general consensus is that the NCAA got this one wrong. Way wrong. Make sure you read all four of these posts. (Crimson Quarry, Hoosier Scoop, Inside The Hall)
- Siena head coach Mitch Buonaguro has suspended sophomores Rakeem Brookins and Trinity Burdine for three games due to unspecified reasons (Albany Times-Union)
- George Mason sophomores Eric Copes and Vaughn Gray have been suspended three games for student-athlete conduct violations (GoMason.com)
- Highly touted Seton Hall commit Aquille Carr has opted against transferring high schools because of his court-issued community service hours (South Orange Juice)
- Florida forward Casey Prather may not participate in the season opener due to receiving his second concussion in seven days (Gator Country)
- Washington sophomore forward Shawn Kemp Jr. will miss 6-8 weeks due to a torn patella tendon (Seattle Times)
Observations & Analysis:
– Andy Glockner provides fantastic insight on the mid-major programs on the rise (Sports Illustrated)
- Miami wasn’t the only Division-I program to loss an exhibition game this past weekend. Holy Cross did as well, and while the Crusaders are not at the level of the Miami Hurricanes, an exhibition loss could be a blessing in disguise. (Hoopville)
- College referees are going to make sure that they perfect the block/charge rule this season (Sporting News)
- Last year it was Lehigh, Ohio and Norfolk State. What mid-majors are the most likely to make noise in the NCAA Tournament? (Rush The Court)
- Part two of Rush The Court’s “68 must-see games of 2012-2013″ (Rush The Court)
Odds & Ends:
– There is a lot to be excited for in the Big Sky Conference this season. (The Upset Blog)
- Where on Earth would you ever need to use baby blue camouflage? Marquette revealed their military-themed uniforms for the Carrier Classic. Personally, I would have gone with midnight blue and gold digital camo. (Fox Sports Wisconsin)
- Georgetown’s camouflage uniforms are much less gaudy and much more realistic. (Casual Hoya)
- ESPN held a fantasy college basketball draft among four hoops experts on Tuesday. They want to know who has the best team. Oh and they drafted coaches and venues too. (ESPN)
- I agree, there is no need to put a lot of stock in preseason lists, polls, and bracketology (Mid-Major Madness)
- I love this. More programs need to follow La Salle’s direction. The Explorers are offering free admission to all veterens for Saturday’s home opener against Delaware. (Pickin’ Splinters)
Tweet of the Day:
@DanielJMartin_ NBC News calls election for Obama. For those who wanted a President Romney NCAA tournament bracket, you may never see one
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Oct 24, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
Syracuse’s men’s basketball and football programs are under investigation, with the stakes being higher for Jim Boeheim’s program.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Joshua Smith averaged 11.5 points per game before being ruled academically ineligible last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
Cam Payne became the star of Murray State as a freshman, but he wouldn’t have gotten there if he had a back up. Why?
Oct 23, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
The preseason favorites to win the Atlantic 10 added a new teammate Thursday.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
Shawn Lester averaged 11.9 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in the sixth man role last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Hallice Cooke will have one hip operated on Monday, with the second surgery coming four weeks later.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
Christian James joins Rashard Odomes and Akolda Manyang in Oklahoma’s 2015 haul.
Oct 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The OVC looks like a three-team race this season.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Nice work editing in the music.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Who are the top 20 perimeters in the country this season?
Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
This scandal will be a stain on North Carolina’s sports and academic programs for a long time.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
This is about as embarrassing as being POSTERIZED can get.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
The Shockers went to the Final Four in 2013 and undefeated in 2014. What is next for them?
Oct 22, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Cody Larson was South Dakotas Next Big Thing. He returned in infamy, but that has not stopped him from succeeding.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Wisconsin held its third annual “Shooting Down Cancer” event Wednesday, with their goal being to #MakeBoPay.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:13 PM EDT
Austin Nichols is the reigning American Athletic Conference ROY, and sophomore Avery Woodson is expected to compete for minutes in a crowded by inexperienced backcourt.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Cezar Guerrero knocked down five straight from half-court during the team’s Red and White Hoops Night event Tuesday.
Oct 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Oregon didn’t have much depth to begin with due to various personnel issues, so Michael Chandler’s lingering knee problem is a major concern.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
People don’t come more intense than Bruce Pearl.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Given SMU’s depth on the perimeter, LaGerald Vick’s decision to move back in classes will help both parties in the future.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)