Nov 8, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
USC got a big — and I mean BIG — boost late on Thursday afternoon when it was announced that 7-foot-2 Rice transfer Omar Oraby had been granted a waiver by the NCAA to play immediately.
Oraby, who is a native of Egypt, averaged 6.0 points. 3.6 boards and 1.6 blocks in just under 12 minutes per game as a sophomore. He’ll be in the lineup tomorrow night as the Trojans host Coppin State. He’s been practicing with the team as well and could end up starting, although he’ll likely be sharing minutes with Dewayne Dedmon later on in the season.
What’s interesting about this USC group is that, just like Iowa State last year, they are going to be relying almost entirely on transfers this year. In fact, one USC beat writer is predicting a starting lineup that includes nothing but transfers.
The bigger question now becomes the status of Oraby’s former teammate, Arsalan Kazemi. Kazemi, who averaged a double-double for the Owls as a junior, transferred to Oregon during the offseason, and the general belief has been that if one of the two players got a waiver, than both would.
So does that mean that Dana Altman will have Kazemi at his disposal this season? With him in the mix, Oregon’s chances for an NCAA tournament bid just got that much better. Kazemi is an high-energy rebounding machine that will join EJ Singler, Tony Woods and Waverly Austin in giving the Ducks a versatile front line.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 1
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 0
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)