Nov 8, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
USC got a big — and I mean BIG — boost late on Thursday afternoon when it was announced that 7-foot-2 Rice transfer Omar Oraby had been granted a waiver by the NCAA to play immediately.
Oraby, who is a native of Egypt, averaged 6.0 points. 3.6 boards and 1.6 blocks in just under 12 minutes per game as a sophomore. He’ll be in the lineup tomorrow night as the Trojans host Coppin State. He’s been practicing with the team as well and could end up starting, although he’ll likely be sharing minutes with Dewayne Dedmon later on in the season.
What’s interesting about this USC group is that, just like Iowa State last year, they are going to be relying almost entirely on transfers this year. In fact, one USC beat writer is predicting a starting lineup that includes nothing but transfers.
The bigger question now becomes the status of Oraby’s former teammate, Arsalan Kazemi. Kazemi, who averaged a double-double for the Owls as a junior, transferred to Oregon during the offseason, and the general belief has been that if one of the two players got a waiver, than both would.
So does that mean that Dana Altman will have Kazemi at his disposal this season? With him in the mix, Oregon’s chances for an NCAA tournament bid just got that much better. Kazemi is an high-energy rebounding machine that will join EJ Singler, Tony Woods and Waverly Austin in giving the Ducks a versatile front line.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 0
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)