Nov 8, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Real, live college basketball games start on Friday, and with all of our glorious preseason content finally finished, this week we will be providing you with water cooler fodder as we roll through a series of Burning Question. You can read them all right here.
Who is the best team in The Triangle?
- (Raphielle Johnson): They have the best point guard of the three and it’s not even that close, as Lorenzo Brown is one of the best in the country. Richard Howell and C.J. Leslie will lead the way inside while Scott Wood is a very good shooter on the wing. Add in those three freshmen and the Wolfpack are poised to grab some attention for themselves.
- (Eric Angevine): Again, here are three teams that are legit contenders for a league crown as well as a lengthy post-season run. Again I’ll choose the team that I feel has the best leadership at the point. That’s Lorenzo Brown and the N.C. State Wolfpack. He’s surrounded with talent, which means his ability to score is a luxury to be exploited at crucial points in the game, rather than his primary responsibility. He’s got loads of guys to pass it to, and that is what gives his team the edge – he can do it himself, or dish to someone else who can.
- (Daniel Martin): Rodney Purvis being cleared by the NCAA was a major boost to the 2012-13 team. As a slasher, he will work well with point guard Lorenzo Brown in the backcourt. The Wolfpack added to their front line by nabbing T.J. Warren and it can only help to retain C.J. Leslie and Richard Howell.
- (Rob Dauster): Three things need to happen for Duke to become the best team in the ACC: 1) Quinn Cook needs to be great as a leader and as a creator off the dribble. 2) Rasheed Sulaimon has to develop into a lock-down defender on the perimeter and a guy that can put the ball on the floor and score at the rim. 3) Mason Plumlee needs to be more than just a good big man with loads of potential; he needs to be the best center in the ACC. If all three of those things happen, Duke has enough talent and experience to make a run this year.
- (David Harten): Forgive me if I don’t give-in to North Carolina State, the team with the second-year head coach that had the good fortune to surprise everyone last season because no one thought they were a contender in the ACC. I just trust Roy Williams more than them. Dexter Strickland returns from injury and guys like Reggie Bullock and James Michael McAdoo were groomed behind NBA Lottery picks like John Henson and Harrison Barnes. I have more faith in development than I do in one-year wonders. N.C. State has the talent. But not the proven talent. Not yet, at least.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:16 AM EDT
We know Joel Embiid’s back is bothering him, but should we be worried about whether or not he’ll be healthy for the NCAA tournament?
Mar 10, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Three more teams earn automatic bids to the NCAA tournament, Nebraska strengthens its resume and two regular season champions fall in conference tournaments.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Catch up on all of today’s bubble action. Is Nebraska a lock after beating Wisconsin? Can St. Joseph’s still dance after losing to La Salle?
Mar 9, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Picked to finish last in the Big Ten’s preseason poll, Nebraska moved closer to its first NCAA tournament appearance since 1998 with a win over No. 9 Wisconsin.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
William & Mary beats Towson, moving to within 40 minutes of their first NCAA tournament berth.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
No. 22 Michigan State’s late-game execution left much to be desired on Sunday.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
After winning three straight games Ohio State dropped road games at Penn State and Indiana, falling out of the national polls and finding themselves in danger of not receiving a first-round bye in next week’s Big Ten tournament as a result. The Buckeyes’ game against No. 22 Michigan State was also Senior Day for a…
Mar 9, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Did she say yes?
Mar 9, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Since joining the Colonial Athletic Association in 2001 the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens had never made an appearance in the CAA tournament title game. That will change on Monday night, as the top-seeded Fightin’ Blue Hens (24-9, 14-2) beat Northeastern 87-74 in a CAA tournament semifinal on Sunday afternoon. Davon Usher led five players in…
Mar 9, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
Get to know the fifth entry into the 2014 NCAA Tournament field, the Mercer Bears
Mar 9, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
The Missouri Valley Conference had an unfortunate mistake in the t-shirts that they gave Wichita State for winning the conference tournament.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Wichita State Shockers will head into the NCAA tournament at 34-0, the first team to be undefeated on Selection Sunday in 23 years.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The CAA Tournament semifinals will take place on Sunday afternoon in Baltimore. Towson and Williams & Mary will tip off at roughly 5:00 p.m. You can watch the game live on NBC Sports Live Extra. The first semi was won by CAA regular season champion Delaware who beat a Northeastern team that can count a win over…
Mar 9, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
For the first time in what feels like a month, No. 7 Syracuse looked like a team capable of putting together a run to the Final Four. The Orange got 22 points, seven boards and four steals from C.J. Fair as they went into Tallahassee and knocked off Florida State, 74-58. The big news for…
Mar 9, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Jordair Jett helped snap a three-game losing streak while also delivering Saint Louis the Atlantic 10 regular season title with a last-second win over UMass.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice attended a fundraiser for Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell, a senator from Kentucky, at Rupp Arena on Thursday. She found time to pay a visit to the Kentucky locker room and snap a photo with a couple members of the team and visit with John Calipari:
Mar 9, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
In recent years the East Division has dominated the MAC, with the last nine winners of the automatic bid coming from that division. But the power was in the West this year, with Western Michigan and Toledo finishing with matching 14-4 conference records. As a result those two get byes to the semifinals, with three-seed…
Mar 9, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
No. 5 Virginia lost their first game since January. Just how concerned should be be about the Cavaliers? Are they still in contention for a No. 1 seed?
Mar 9, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
Get to know the second entry into the 2014 NCAA Tournament field, the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
The CAA Tournament semifinal will take place on Sunday afternoon in Baltimore. The first semi will be between CAA regular season champion Delaware and a Northeastern team that can count a win over Georgetown on their resume. You can watch the game live on NBC Sports Live Extra. The first semifinal will tip off at…
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 8
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)