Nov 8, 2012, 12:17 PM EST
Head coach John Calipari issued the call to Kentucky fans in the quest to raise funds for those affected by Superstorm Sandy, and the people responded.
The Kentucky program held a telethon on Wednesday night and to say the least it was a productive affair, as more than $500,000 were raised during the event.
And when considering the fact that Papa John’s founder John Schnatter pledged $1 from every pizza ordered on Wednesday (he estimated that an additional $400,000 would be raised), the final tally could very well approach seven figures.
“When you consider the money raised on the phones, on-line, through the auction, and with Papa John’s contributions we hope to surpass $1 million,” Terry Burkhart, CEO of the Bluegrass Region of the American Red Cross, said in a release.
Players were among those in the WKYT studio taking phone calls from people eager to donate to a worthy cause.
The position of head coach at the major college level, especially for a program like Kentucky, offers a platform that can do a lot of good when it comes to charitable causes and Calipari has taken advantage of that.
A couple of years ago it was “Hoops for Haiti” and this year the Wildcats will be able to take a large check with them to the New York metropolitan area, where they take on Maryland tomorrow night at the new Barclays Center.
“It’s the position I hold, it’s not me,” noted Calipari in the video below. “And when you’re the head coach at Kentucky and you’re the head coach of basketball, you have an ability to move people within the state, and fans throughout the country that are the ‘Big Blue Nation.’
“Rallying them, and keeping them involved and active is part of what your job is.”
The passion of the Kentucky fan base has been well-documented throughout the years, and the passion for their team has paid dividends when it comes to charity as well.
It’s been over a week since Sandy hit the Northeast and with a nor’eastern rolling in last night there’s now storm to deal with, and some areas are still without power. And for those who would like to contribute to the relief efforts, the American Red Cross is accepting donations.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)