Nov 8, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
I think we can all agree that, based on the facts at large, Peter Jurkin and Hanner Mosquera-Perea got a raw deal from the NCAA.
In case you missed, a series of $30 payments between 1986 and 1992 made by the ex-wife of the AAU coach — and, in Perea’s case, the legal guardian — of the two players to Indiana for bumper stickers has cost them nine games each this season. Why? Because those payments made Adams, forever and always, an Indiana booster, so any benefits that he provided Jurkin and Perea, that would have been fine under normal circumstances, were illegal.
So Jurkin and Perea get punished.
For something that happened before they were born.
That makes such little sense that the consensus has become that the NCAA is simply taking a swing at Indiana because they can’t find a way to punish the Hoosiers for their questionable, in the NCAA’s eyes, relationship with Mark Adams, the AAU coach.
I’m not exactly sure that is how the NCAA, an organization has massive credibility issues as is, wants to portray themselves, but it’s a theory that gained traction thanks to tweets from NCAA staffers Dana Thomas and Ronnie Ramos:
(@NCAADana) November 08, 2012
Ronnie Ramos (@RonnieRamos) November 08, 2012
That was actually the second time that Ramos retweeted what Thomas had to say, which can easily be interpreted as him saying, “Seriously, guys, this is important.” That’s at least the case when I retweet something twice.
The bottom line is this: a pair of people that work for the NCAA essentially confirmed that the punishments handed down to Jurkin and Perea were so severe because they were looking for a way to punish Indiana and Adams for things they couldn’t otherwise prove.
The good news?
Jurkin and Perea will be back in uniform for the NCAA tournament, which provides the NCAA with more than three-quarters of their annual revenue.
The NCAA is so obsessive (with rea$on$) to reinforce its laughable concepts of amateurism that its case-by-case decisions skew horribly.—
Andy Glockner (@AndyGlockner) November 07, 2012
That about sums it up.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)