Nov 8, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Cody Zeller has gotten even more preseason accolades, as he was named the Preseason Player of the Year in a straw poll done on ESPN.com.
The details of how the winner is selected can be found here, but the basics are this: Mike Rothstein, who is the Michigan beat-writer for the site, gets a bunch of writers to vote on their top three picks, and then he crunches the numbers and gives us the results.
Zeller got a first place vote on 40 of the 55 ballots that were submitted and was listed in the top three by all-but one submission. (Sidenote: Apparently, there is one media member that lives in Colorado and is taking part in some of their newly legal activities.)
Doug McDermott came in second in the poll and received 14 of the other 15 first-place votes. Peyton Siva got the other.
One of my favorite things about polls like these are to take a look at some of the random names that get mentioned, and there are two that stick out on this list: Oregon’s EJ Singler and Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart.
- Latest mixtape for Dennis Smith Jr. shows how talented he is (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1