Nov 8, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Cody Zeller has gotten even more preseason accolades, as he was named the Preseason Player of the Year in a straw poll done on ESPN.com.
The details of how the winner is selected can be found here, but the basics are this: Mike Rothstein, who is the Michigan beat-writer for the site, gets a bunch of writers to vote on their top three picks, and then he crunches the numbers and gives us the results.
Zeller got a first place vote on 40 of the 55 ballots that were submitted and was listed in the top three by all-but one submission. (Sidenote: Apparently, there is one media member that lives in Colorado and is taking part in some of their newly legal activities.)
Doug McDermott came in second in the poll and received 14 of the other 15 first-place votes. Peyton Siva got the other.
One of my favorite things about polls like these are to take a look at some of the random names that get mentioned, and there are two that stick out on this list: Oregon’s EJ Singler and Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)