Nov 8, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Cody Zeller has gotten even more preseason accolades, as he was named the Preseason Player of the Year in a straw poll done on ESPN.com.
The details of how the winner is selected can be found here, but the basics are this: Mike Rothstein, who is the Michigan beat-writer for the site, gets a bunch of writers to vote on their top three picks, and then he crunches the numbers and gives us the results.
Zeller got a first place vote on 40 of the 55 ballots that were submitted and was listed in the top three by all-but one submission. (Sidenote: Apparently, there is one media member that lives in Colorado and is taking part in some of their newly legal activities.)
Doug McDermott came in second in the poll and received 14 of the other 15 first-place votes. Peyton Siva got the other.
One of my favorite things about polls like these are to take a look at some of the random names that get mentioned, and there are two that stick out on this list: Oregon’s EJ Singler and Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart.
- Former Villanova guard headed to Oregon for final season 0
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 1
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (5)