Nov 8, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Cody Zeller has gotten even more preseason accolades, as he was named the Preseason Player of the Year in a straw poll done on ESPN.com.
The details of how the winner is selected can be found here, but the basics are this: Mike Rothstein, who is the Michigan beat-writer for the site, gets a bunch of writers to vote on their top three picks, and then he crunches the numbers and gives us the results.
Zeller got a first place vote on 40 of the 55 ballots that were submitted and was listed in the top three by all-but one submission. (Sidenote: Apparently, there is one media member that lives in Colorado and is taking part in some of their newly legal activities.)
Doug McDermott came in second in the poll and received 14 of the other 15 first-place votes. Peyton Siva got the other.
One of my favorite things about polls like these are to take a look at some of the random names that get mentioned, and there are two that stick out on this list: Oregon’s EJ Singler and Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)