Nov 8, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Cody Zeller has gotten even more preseason accolades, as he was named the Preseason Player of the Year in a straw poll done on ESPN.com.
The details of how the winner is selected can be found here, but the basics are this: Mike Rothstein, who is the Michigan beat-writer for the site, gets a bunch of writers to vote on their top three picks, and then he crunches the numbers and gives us the results.
Zeller got a first place vote on 40 of the 55 ballots that were submitted and was listed in the top three by all-but one submission. (Sidenote: Apparently, there is one media member that lives in Colorado and is taking part in some of their newly legal activities.)
Doug McDermott came in second in the poll and received 14 of the other 15 first-place votes. Peyton Siva got the other.
One of my favorite things about polls like these are to take a look at some of the random names that get mentioned, and there are two that stick out on this list: Oregon’s EJ Singler and Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit