Nov 8, 2012, 5:52 PM EDT
If you thought we were done with suspensions for the day, you thought wrong.
On Thursday afternoon, St. Joseph’s announced that starting point guard Carl Jones would be suspended for the first two games of the season, in addition to the final exhibition game, due to a violation of team rules.
Here is the statement put out by the athletic department: “Saint Joseph’s senior guard Carl Jones will not participate in the first three games, due to violation of the University’s community standards, beginning with the exhibition game against Wheeling Jesuit on November 8.”
This is big, big news for the Hawks. Jones was their leading scorer a season ago, averaging 17.0 points and 3.4 assists. He’s their senior leader this season, their starting point guard. And he’ll be sitting out when St. Joe’s heads to New York City to take on Notre Dame in the opener for the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic.
That could end up being the Hawk’s best non-conference opponent, depending on how you value Notre Dame and Creighton. But given that they will be taking on the Irish in New York but must travel to Omaha to play the Bluejays, there’s no arguing the fact that it was their most-winnable marquee non-conference game. If the Hawks struggle in a tough A-10 this season, a win against Notre Dame could end up becoming quite valuable in putting together a bid for an at-large berth.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)