Nov 8, 2012, 5:52 PM EST
If you thought we were done with suspensions for the day, you thought wrong.
On Thursday afternoon, St. Joseph’s announced that starting point guard Carl Jones would be suspended for the first two games of the season, in addition to the final exhibition game, due to a violation of team rules.
Here is the statement put out by the athletic department: “Saint Joseph’s senior guard Carl Jones will not participate in the first three games, due to violation of the University’s community standards, beginning with the exhibition game against Wheeling Jesuit on November 8.”
This is big, big news for the Hawks. Jones was their leading scorer a season ago, averaging 17.0 points and 3.4 assists. He’s their senior leader this season, their starting point guard. And he’ll be sitting out when St. Joe’s heads to New York City to take on Notre Dame in the opener for the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic.
That could end up being the Hawk’s best non-conference opponent, depending on how you value Notre Dame and Creighton. But given that they will be taking on the Irish in New York but must travel to Omaha to play the Bluejays, there’s no arguing the fact that it was their most-winnable marquee non-conference game. If the Hawks struggle in a tough A-10 this season, a win against Notre Dame could end up becoming quite valuable in putting together a bid for an at-large berth.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)