Nov 8, 2012, 5:52 PM EDT
If you thought we were done with suspensions for the day, you thought wrong.
On Thursday afternoon, St. Joseph’s announced that starting point guard Carl Jones would be suspended for the first two games of the season, in addition to the final exhibition game, due to a violation of team rules.
Here is the statement put out by the athletic department: “Saint Joseph’s senior guard Carl Jones will not participate in the first three games, due to violation of the University’s community standards, beginning with the exhibition game against Wheeling Jesuit on November 8.”
This is big, big news for the Hawks. Jones was their leading scorer a season ago, averaging 17.0 points and 3.4 assists. He’s their senior leader this season, their starting point guard. And he’ll be sitting out when St. Joe’s heads to New York City to take on Notre Dame in the opener for the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic.
That could end up being the Hawk’s best non-conference opponent, depending on how you value Notre Dame and Creighton. But given that they will be taking on the Irish in New York but must travel to Omaha to play the Bluejays, there’s no arguing the fact that it was their most-winnable marquee non-conference game. If the Hawks struggle in a tough A-10 this season, a win against Notre Dame could end up becoming quite valuable in putting together a bid for an at-large berth.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)