Nov 9, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
It’s finally here!
As of noon on Friday, college basketball season will have officially begun, which more or less means that November 9th is Christmas morning for everyone that writes (and, hopefully, reads) this site.
So without further ado, here are the 60 things that we’re looking forward to the most this season. Feel free to add any and everything you’re looking forward to in the comments. We’ll be reading them!
- Kentucky vs. Louisville. (Each and every one of us)
- The bewildered look on the faces of Missouri superfans when they get a load of Big Blue Nation. (EA)
- The Interlude Dance. (RD)
- The carrot cake at Madison Square Garden. (TM)
- The Pac-12 fighting for national respect. (RJ)
- Utah State fans proving that they deserve to be rescued from the wreckage of the USS WAC. (EA)
- KFC Yum! full of dead-eyed, staring Cardinal masks. (EA)
- The Mark Turgeon-John Calipari postgame handshake on Nov. 9 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Will the Harrison twins be watching? (DM)
- Jeff Withey going for the especially elusive points/rebounds/blocks triple double. (EA)
- Chris Mack getting so desperate for bench depth that he holds sack races on consecutive Thursdays for two roster spots for Xavier students. (DH)
- Rick Pitino announcing he will be cryogenicly frozen after death and will remain on the Louisville sideline, posthumously. (DH)
- RUSS. FREAKIN’. SMITH. (RD)
- College pep band battles. Sometimes they’re better than the games themselves. (DH)
- Gameday at NC State, who is looking for its first ACC regular season title since 1989. (EA)
- Vegas in March. WCC, Mountain West, Pac-12 and WAC all having their conference tournaments there. (RJ)
- Pouring out some liquor for the WAC on the Vegas strip. (RD)
- Indiana fans NOT storming the floor because they’re receiving external validation again. (EA)
- The sights and sounds at the arena 30 minutes before tip-off. (TM)
- Late-night West Coast tip-offs. Nothing better on a Thursday night than some 11:45PM WCC action. (TM)
- Small conference postseason tournaments. One bid, no mercy. (DH)
- Multi-screen Saturday afternoons. (TM)
- Is it out of the question for WKU’s Big Red and Syracuse’s Otto the Orange to have a no-holds-barred MMA fight? Because I’d be really, really excited to see that. (EA)
- The top five of the Mountain West (SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico, Colorado State, Nevada). (RJ)
- The top six in the Atlantic 10 (St. Joe’s, VCU, Butler, UMass, Temple, St. Louis). (RD)
- All of us tweeting pics of our snacks and energy drinks for the 24-hour college hoops marathon. (RJ)
- Richmond vs. VCU twice and possibly three times this season. (EA)
- Lehigh vs. Bucknell. Two times guaranteed, and probably a third meeting in the Patriot League title game. (RJ)
- Isaiah Canaan and Murray State vs. Kerron Johnson and Belmont. (RJ)
- Jim Boeheim and Rick Pitino both said the other was “full of s—“ at Big East media day. They’ll settle the score on Jan. 19. (DM)
- What will Seton Hall do without the theatrics of Mr. Peter Dill? (DM)
- The ridiculous colors that apparel companies can come up for specialty uniforms. (RD)
- The chronic hand pains associated with remote control over-usage. (TM)
- The melodious tones of ESPN’s College Hoops intro music. (TM)
- Bill Raftery’s jibberish. (RD)
- The Programming: Big Monday, Holiday Hoops Week, Rivalry Week, Campus Connection Week, Gutcheck Saturday, BracketBusters, Championship Week. (TM)
- The feeling you get when you peruse a Summit League box score. (TM)
- Mike Wilder and his All-Conference afro. Best.Afro.Ever. (TM)
- Rotnei Clarke’s impeccably manicured faux-hawk . (RD)
- The throbbing veins in Frank Martin’s neck. (EA)
- Gyratin’ Jimmy Patsos. (EA)
- Buzz Williams’ sideline antics. You know he’s good for a handful of entertaining moments. (TM)
- San Diego State’s attempt to cement itself as the best team in SoCal when they get USC and UCLA the same week. (RJ)
- Steve Masiello’s quest to lead Manhattan to the NCAA tournament. (RJ)
- Minnesota’s potential to be a factor in the Big Ten race, provided everyone stays out of trouble. (RJ)
- How Saint Louis responds without Rick Majerus on the sidelines and with PG Kwamain Mitchell missing time. (DM)
- The visible frustration experienced by an offensive player trying to escape Aaron Craft. (EA)
- Can Michigan regain this swagger? (DM)
- The mini-NCAA Tournament….I mean, The Battle for Atlantis. (DH)
- The resurrection of the complete Tobacco Road Rivalry. (DH)
- Can Drexel finally win the CAA? Haven’t gone dancing since Malik Rose was running things in Philadelphia. (RJ)
- Kevin Ollie’s quest to “take the stairs” when his AD put him a situation that’s tough. (RJ)
- Shaka Smart unleashing “havoc” on the A-10. (DM)
- The Big Sky debut of the North Dakota Human Beings. (EA)
- Larry Brown is in his first year at SMU. He helped changed their image on the recruiting front, but can he win in year one? (DM)
- The St. Joe’s hawk flapping and flapping and flapping in the limelight again. (EA)
- Nate Wolters ability to fill up a stat sheet. (DH)
- The evolution of Ryan Harrow. (DH)
- How all those transfers blend in at Missouri. (DH)
- Old school Big 12 fans screaming in terror when the WVU mountain man fires his flintlock
- Bo Ryan slowing things down even more at Wisconsin while breaking in a couple of inexperienced point guards. (EA)
Sep 23, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
The Final Four hasn’t been played in the western United States since 1995.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
Illinois now has three commitments in the Class of 2015, and there’s still a five-star point guard on the board that they’re pursuing.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
This facility is a nice boost for a basketball program that has made one NCAA tournament appearance since 1992.
Sep 23, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
The two-day camp will be held October 4-5 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Breanna Stewart is the lone current college player among the finalists, with the team playing one final exhibition before the world championships begin September 27.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
The former Virginia Tech big man will work hard in 2014-15 with an eye towards being a primary option in 2015-16.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
De’Aaron Fox is one to watch in the 2016 class.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Purdue is offering to sell old game films using a company that hopes to do the same with over 600 colleges.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
Florida State added a big man in 2015 to go along with its three talented perimeter threats.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The Wolfpack have some new threads for the upcoming season.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Creighton picked up a point guard in the 2015 class on Monday.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit
Sep 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
The image places alongside a column on the recent USA Basketball debate caused an uproar in the Bluegrass State.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings’ young team will play away from Nashville three times before the start of SEC play, with two of those games being played on a neutral court.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The St. Anthony product is a valuable recruit for each of the remaining schools, as they all have the eventual loss of current seniors to account for.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Having landed commitments from three forwards, the Flyers added a piece for their backcourt on Monday.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
The Simeon HS forward officially visited Nebraska this weekend, and both of his parents attended the school as well.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Fans have three different designs from which to choose, with the winning option scheduled to be revealed next Monday.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The Tigers, who won 25 games last season, landed their first commitment in the Class of 2015 Sunday night.
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)