Nov 9, 2012, 7:05 PM EST
The early signing period begins next Wednesday and runs until Nov. 21.
It appears that the nation’s top recruit, Huntington Prep (W.Va.) small forward Andrew Wiggins, will not make any earth-shattering announcements before Thanksgiving. His coach, Rob Fulford, told Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv that the 6-foot-7 Wiggins will likely sign in the late period, which takes place Apr. 17-May 15.
“He’s concentrating on the season right now and he’s not even thinking about it,” Fulford told Zagoria on Thursday afternoon. “He has not communicated anything about recruiting so I can’t imagine he’s going to do anything in the next week because he’s not visiting anywhere this weekend.”
The decision is not surprising considering Wiggins had recently reclassified to the Class of 2013, another decision which was also not shocking.
The consensus No. 1 player in high school basketball has offers from Florida State, Kansas, North Carolina, Syracuse, Ohio State, and Kentucky.
The Wildcats and Seminoles appear to be the favorites for the Canadian’s commitment. Florida State is where his father, Mitchell played and head coach Leonard Hamilton has already secured a commitment from Wiggins’ Huntington Prep teammate and close friend Xavier Rathan-Mayes.
Kentucky can never be ruled out, even if John Calipari has already landed James Young, one of the nation’s top wings, to play alongside Andrew and Aaron Harrison. Fulford told Zagoria that roster issues like that won’t alter his decision.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)