Nov 9, 2012, 7:05 PM EST
The early signing period begins next Wednesday and runs until Nov. 21.
It appears that the nation’s top recruit, Huntington Prep (W.Va.) small forward Andrew Wiggins, will not make any earth-shattering announcements before Thanksgiving. His coach, Rob Fulford, told Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv that the 6-foot-7 Wiggins will likely sign in the late period, which takes place Apr. 17-May 15.
“He’s concentrating on the season right now and he’s not even thinking about it,” Fulford told Zagoria on Thursday afternoon. “He has not communicated anything about recruiting so I can’t imagine he’s going to do anything in the next week because he’s not visiting anywhere this weekend.”
The decision is not surprising considering Wiggins had recently reclassified to the Class of 2013, another decision which was also not shocking.
The consensus No. 1 player in high school basketball has offers from Florida State, Kansas, North Carolina, Syracuse, Ohio State, and Kentucky.
The Wildcats and Seminoles appear to be the favorites for the Canadian’s commitment. Florida State is where his father, Mitchell played and head coach Leonard Hamilton has already secured a commitment from Wiggins’ Huntington Prep teammate and close friend Xavier Rathan-Mayes.
Kentucky can never be ruled out, even if John Calipari has already landed James Young, one of the nation’s top wings, to play alongside Andrew and Aaron Harrison. Fulford told Zagoria that roster issues like that won’t alter his decision.
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 3
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)