Condensation strikes again, Navy-Marine Corps Classic between Georgetown and Florida called at halftime
Nov 9, 2012, 11:05 PM EDT
Condensation spoiled the party before it got started in South Carolina between Marquette and Ohio State, and those pesky water droplets struck again in Florida, keeping Florida and Georgetown from playing past halftime in Jacksonville.
With Florida leading 27-23 at halftime, players were unable to return to the floor as maintenance crews were hard at work trying to dry condensation that was accumulating on the surface of the court aboard the USS Bataan.
Much like the problems encountered earlier in the night on the USS Yorktown, which hosted Marquette and Ohio State, the water droplets were returning almost as quickly as crews could wipe them away, rendering the court unsafe.
Unlike the Carrier Classic in South Carolina, though, we did get 20 minutes of basketball, a half that saw an effective Florida zone that forced Georgetown toward the perimeter.
The Hoyas shot just 3-of-14 from three-point range in the half, likely affected by a combination of outdoor conditions and effective Gator defense. Otto Porter and Nate Lubick each had seven points.
For Florida, the inside combination of Will Yeguete, Erik Murphy, and Patric Young helped the offense in the first half. Yeguete finished with eight points. Murphy chipped in seven and added two rebounds.
It is unclear at this time whether the game will be continued at a later date or counted as a Florida win, despite only playing one half. As of publication, Georgetown and Florida were contacting the NCAA in efforts to obtain a ruling.
Coverage from the NBC Sports Network below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 2
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 2
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Born without a right hand, Omar Ndiaye looking for his chance 0
- Illinois starting point guard suffers season-ending knee injury 1
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Report: Providence legend Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes passes away (2)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)