Condensation strikes again, Navy-Marine Corps Classic between Georgetown and Florida called at halftime
Nov 9, 2012, 11:05 PM EDT
Condensation spoiled the party before it got started in South Carolina between Marquette and Ohio State, and those pesky water droplets struck again in Florida, keeping Florida and Georgetown from playing past halftime in Jacksonville.
With Florida leading 27-23 at halftime, players were unable to return to the floor as maintenance crews were hard at work trying to dry condensation that was accumulating on the surface of the court aboard the USS Bataan.
Much like the problems encountered earlier in the night on the USS Yorktown, which hosted Marquette and Ohio State, the water droplets were returning almost as quickly as crews could wipe them away, rendering the court unsafe.
Unlike the Carrier Classic in South Carolina, though, we did get 20 minutes of basketball, a half that saw an effective Florida zone that forced Georgetown toward the perimeter.
The Hoyas shot just 3-of-14 from three-point range in the half, likely affected by a combination of outdoor conditions and effective Gator defense. Otto Porter and Nate Lubick each had seven points.
For Florida, the inside combination of Will Yeguete, Erik Murphy, and Patric Young helped the offense in the first half. Yeguete finished with eight points. Murphy chipped in seven and added two rebounds.
It is unclear at this time whether the game will be continued at a later date or counted as a Florida win, despite only playing one half. As of publication, Georgetown and Florida were contacting the NCAA in efforts to obtain a ruling.
Coverage from the NBC Sports Network below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)