Condensation strikes again, Navy-Marine Corps Classic between Georgetown and Florida called at halftime
Nov 9, 2012, 11:05 PM EDT
Condensation spoiled the party before it got started in South Carolina between Marquette and Ohio State, and those pesky water droplets struck again in Florida, keeping Florida and Georgetown from playing past halftime in Jacksonville.
With Florida leading 27-23 at halftime, players were unable to return to the floor as maintenance crews were hard at work trying to dry condensation that was accumulating on the surface of the court aboard the USS Bataan.
Much like the problems encountered earlier in the night on the USS Yorktown, which hosted Marquette and Ohio State, the water droplets were returning almost as quickly as crews could wipe them away, rendering the court unsafe.
Unlike the Carrier Classic in South Carolina, though, we did get 20 minutes of basketball, a half that saw an effective Florida zone that forced Georgetown toward the perimeter.
The Hoyas shot just 3-of-14 from three-point range in the half, likely affected by a combination of outdoor conditions and effective Gator defense. Otto Porter and Nate Lubick each had seven points.
For Florida, the inside combination of Will Yeguete, Erik Murphy, and Patric Young helped the offense in the first half. Yeguete finished with eight points. Murphy chipped in seven and added two rebounds.
It is unclear at this time whether the game will be continued at a later date or counted as a Florida win, despite only playing one half. As of publication, Georgetown and Florida were contacting the NCAA in efforts to obtain a ruling.
Coverage from the NBC Sports Network below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)