Nov 9, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
Everyone is set for Friday night’s big match-ups to begin the 2012-13 season, but three games took place Friday afternoon to officially begin the year. Check out the three games below:
Eastern Michigan 66, Rochester 52
The Eagles thought they had lost their head coach to an NBA job this offseason, but Rob Murphy returns to the sidelines in 2012-13 and led his team to victory in the season opener. EMU senior Derek Thompson scored 22 points on 5-of-8 shooting, including 4-of-6 from three-point range. Ray Lee and Daylen Harrison added 12 points apiece for the Eagles. Drew Maynard led the way for Rochester, scoring 27 of the Warriors’ 52 points on 11-of-19 shooting. EMU plays again Sunday when they travel to Jacksonville State.
Houston 81, Florida A&M 76
Houston enters its final season in Conference USA before moving to the Big East and began it’s 2012-13 season with a narrow win over Florida A&M. Leon Gibson scored 20 points and TaShawn Thomas scored 11 points and grabbed 20 rebounds in the win. Highly touted freshman Danuel House struggled to find his stroke in his first official collegiate game, going 1-of-6 from the floor for six points. Reggie Lewis and Jamie Adams led Florida A&M with 18 points each.
IUPUI 67, Utah Valley 54
IUPUI was chosen to finish fifth in the Summit League preseason coaches’ poll, but got a double-digit win over Utah Valley to begin the year. John Hart scored 19 points to lead the Jaguars and Mitchell Patton added 15 points and seven rebounds. Holton Hunsaker tallied 15 points on 4-of-12 shooting.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)