Nov 9, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
Everyone is set for Friday night’s big match-ups to begin the 2012-13 season, but three games took place Friday afternoon to officially begin the year. Check out the three games below:
Eastern Michigan 66, Rochester 52
The Eagles thought they had lost their head coach to an NBA job this offseason, but Rob Murphy returns to the sidelines in 2012-13 and led his team to victory in the season opener. EMU senior Derek Thompson scored 22 points on 5-of-8 shooting, including 4-of-6 from three-point range. Ray Lee and Daylen Harrison added 12 points apiece for the Eagles. Drew Maynard led the way for Rochester, scoring 27 of the Warriors’ 52 points on 11-of-19 shooting. EMU plays again Sunday when they travel to Jacksonville State.
Houston 81, Florida A&M 76
Houston enters its final season in Conference USA before moving to the Big East and began it’s 2012-13 season with a narrow win over Florida A&M. Leon Gibson scored 20 points and TaShawn Thomas scored 11 points and grabbed 20 rebounds in the win. Highly touted freshman Danuel House struggled to find his stroke in his first official collegiate game, going 1-of-6 from the floor for six points. Reggie Lewis and Jamie Adams led Florida A&M with 18 points each.
IUPUI 67, Utah Valley 54
IUPUI was chosen to finish fifth in the Summit League preseason coaches’ poll, but got a double-digit win over Utah Valley to begin the year. John Hart scored 19 points to lead the Jaguars and Mitchell Patton added 15 points and seven rebounds. Holton Hunsaker tallied 15 points on 4-of-12 shooting.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)