Nov 9, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
The 16-player coaches’ preseason All-Southeastern Conference list was revealed on Friday, and I still have a huge problem with a preseason all-conference list containing 16 players. I know some coaches can’t make up their mind (hi, Dana Altman) but last I checked, a traditional all-conference team had five players per team. One for every spot on the floor, not one for every spot in an 8-on-5 press-break drill.
Getting to the point, Florida leads the first team with two players in guard Kenny Boynton and Patric Young. Kentucky put freshman (who else?) Nerlens Noel on there, with Phil Pressey (Missouri), Trevor Releford (Alabama), B.J. Young (Arkansas), Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (Georgia) and Jeronne Maymon (Tennessee) rounding (?) it out.
The second team features another eight players for the preseason starting five and bench. They include Arkansas’ Marshawn Powell, Alex Poythress of Kentucky and Johnny O’Bryant of LSU. Ole Miss puts two on the second team with Murphy Holloway and Reginald Buckner. Tennessee joined the Rebels duo with Jarnell Stokes and Trae Golden, while Elston Turner lands on the list in Texas A&M’s first season in the conference.
The most telling thing about this team is the exclusion of any Vanderbilt players. They lost a ton off last season’s team, and Kevin Stallings didn’t seem to bring in a top recruiting class to replace them. It might be a long season in Nashville. Auburn (still rebuilding under Tony Barbee) and Mississippi State, who was gutted by transfers and players turning pro, also failed to put a player in the roster in Rick Ray’s first season as coach. South Carolina also gets turned away from this list. All indicative of what kind of seasons those three coaches are expected to have.
I’d bring up any snubs I thought were made — LSU’s Anthony Hickey, Mississippi State’s Jalen Steele and Kentucky’s Archie Goodwin I thought could’ve been on this list — but really, who can do that? Practically every impact player from the conference made this team. Granted, it’s still preseason list, I know. But hey, 16 is still too many. If that’s the case, just don’t have one. What point does it truly serve outside of telling everyone what we already know?
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)