Nov 9, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
The 16-player coaches’ preseason All-Southeastern Conference list was revealed on Friday, and I still have a huge problem with a preseason all-conference list containing 16 players. I know some coaches can’t make up their mind (hi, Dana Altman) but last I checked, a traditional all-conference team had five players per team. One for every spot on the floor, not one for every spot in an 8-on-5 press-break drill.
Getting to the point, Florida leads the first team with two players in guard Kenny Boynton and Patric Young. Kentucky put freshman (who else?) Nerlens Noel on there, with Phil Pressey (Missouri), Trevor Releford (Alabama), B.J. Young (Arkansas), Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (Georgia) and Jeronne Maymon (Tennessee) rounding (?) it out.
The second team features another eight players for the preseason starting five and bench. They include Arkansas’ Marshawn Powell, Alex Poythress of Kentucky and Johnny O’Bryant of LSU. Ole Miss puts two on the second team with Murphy Holloway and Reginald Buckner. Tennessee joined the Rebels duo with Jarnell Stokes and Trae Golden, while Elston Turner lands on the list in Texas A&M’s first season in the conference.
The most telling thing about this team is the exclusion of any Vanderbilt players. They lost a ton off last season’s team, and Kevin Stallings didn’t seem to bring in a top recruiting class to replace them. It might be a long season in Nashville. Auburn (still rebuilding under Tony Barbee) and Mississippi State, who was gutted by transfers and players turning pro, also failed to put a player in the roster in Rick Ray’s first season as coach. South Carolina also gets turned away from this list. All indicative of what kind of seasons those three coaches are expected to have.
I’d bring up any snubs I thought were made — LSU’s Anthony Hickey, Mississippi State’s Jalen Steele and Kentucky’s Archie Goodwin I thought could’ve been on this list — but really, who can do that? Practically every impact player from the conference made this team. Granted, it’s still preseason list, I know. But hey, 16 is still too many. If that’s the case, just don’t have one. What point does it truly serve outside of telling everyone what we already know?
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)