Nov 9, 2012, 8:13 PM EDT
After a delay of close to an hour, the 2012 Carrier Classic between Marquette and No. 4 Ohio State was canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions.
With the game-time temperature hovering just above 50 degrees in Mt. Pleasant, S.C., condensation gathered on the court built aboard the USS Yorktown. Concerns about player safety ultimately led to the cancellation.
Despite repeated attempts to dry the court with towels and mops, condensation remained on the floor’s surface and created a hazard.
Ohio State coach Thad Matta and Marquette coach Buzz Williams were in agreement with athletic directors from both schools that the risk was too high to continue.
Rescheduling this game now becomes an issue for the two schools, as both schools play again Sunday. Ohio State hosts Albany in Columbus, while Marquette hosts Colgate at home.
If the game is unable to be rescheduled, Marquette misses out on a chance to have an early season test against a team ranked in the nation’s Top 5.
Updates will be added as they become available to NBCSports.com.
Aaron CraftThis video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Buzz Williams and Thad MattaThis video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)