Nov 9, 2012, 8:13 PM EST
After a delay of close to an hour, the 2012 Carrier Classic between Marquette and No. 4 Ohio State was canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions.
With the game-time temperature hovering just above 50 degrees in Mt. Pleasant, S.C., condensation gathered on the court built aboard the USS Yorktown. Concerns about player safety ultimately led to the cancellation.
Despite repeated attempts to dry the court with towels and mops, condensation remained on the floor’s surface and created a hazard.
Ohio State coach Thad Matta and Marquette coach Buzz Williams were in agreement with athletic directors from both schools that the risk was too high to continue.
Rescheduling this game now becomes an issue for the two schools, as both schools play again Sunday. Ohio State hosts Albany in Columbus, while Marquette hosts Colgate at home.
If the game is unable to be rescheduled, Marquette misses out on a chance to have an early season test against a team ranked in the nation’s Top 5.
Updates will be added as they become available to NBCSports.com.
Aaron CraftThis video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Buzz Williams and Thad MattaThis video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (5)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)