Nov 9, 2012, 8:13 PM EDT
After a delay of close to an hour, the 2012 Carrier Classic between Marquette and No. 4 Ohio State was canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions.
With the game-time temperature hovering just above 50 degrees in Mt. Pleasant, S.C., condensation gathered on the court built aboard the USS Yorktown. Concerns about player safety ultimately led to the cancellation.
Despite repeated attempts to dry the court with towels and mops, condensation remained on the floor’s surface and created a hazard.
Ohio State coach Thad Matta and Marquette coach Buzz Williams were in agreement with athletic directors from both schools that the risk was too high to continue.
Rescheduling this game now becomes an issue for the two schools, as both schools play again Sunday. Ohio State hosts Albany in Columbus, while Marquette hosts Colgate at home.
If the game is unable to be rescheduled, Marquette misses out on a chance to have an early season test against a team ranked in the nation’s Top 5.
Updates will be added as they become available to NBCSports.com.
Aaron CraftThis video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Buzz Williams and Thad MattaThis video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)