Nov 9, 2012, 8:13 PM EDT
After a delay of close to an hour, the 2012 Carrier Classic between Marquette and No. 4 Ohio State was canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions.
With the game-time temperature hovering just above 50 degrees in Mt. Pleasant, S.C., condensation gathered on the court built aboard the USS Yorktown. Concerns about player safety ultimately led to the cancellation.
Despite repeated attempts to dry the court with towels and mops, condensation remained on the floor’s surface and created a hazard.
Ohio State coach Thad Matta and Marquette coach Buzz Williams were in agreement with athletic directors from both schools that the risk was too high to continue.
Rescheduling this game now becomes an issue for the two schools, as both schools play again Sunday. Ohio State hosts Albany in Columbus, while Marquette hosts Colgate at home.
If the game is unable to be rescheduled, Marquette misses out on a chance to have an early season test against a team ranked in the nation’s Top 5.
Updates will be added as they become available to NBCSports.com.
Buzz Williams and Thad Matta
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona