Nov 9, 2012, 10:30 PM EST
An hour after No. 14 Michigan State was upended by UConn, No. 25 Florida State, the defending ACC champions, suffered an 76-71 upset at home against South Alabama.
With 26 seconds left, South Alabama guard Freddie Goldestein was fouled on a three-point attempt by Terrance Shannon with the score tied 69-69. Goldestein calmly sank the trio.
Florida State brought the ball over halfcourt and called timeout. The sideline play started with star, Michael Snear inbouding the ball. The Seminoles tried to free him up with a back screen, but the Jaguars defense was able to recover. Instead of taking a quick two, Snaer launched a contest three that didn’t even hit the rim.
South Alabama was able to sink the free throws down the stretch to leave Tallahassee with a season-opening victory.
The 6-foot-5 Snaer shot only 2-for-11 and 0-for-6 behind the arc, ending the night with 11 points.
South Alabama was hot from the perimeter, connecting on 60 percent from three (9-15), led by Antoine Allen’s 21 points (four three-pointers).
More importantly, the 6-foot-1 Allen was cleared by the NCAA just hours before the game. Allen missed South Alabama’s last scrimmage due to eligibility issues.
FSU and USA combined for 36 turnovers.
Florida State plays Buffalo Tuesday at home. South Alabama takes on William Carey on Wednesday.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)