Nov 9, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
An hour after No. 14 Michigan State was upended by UConn, No. 25 Florida State, the defending ACC champions, suffered an 76-71 upset at home against South Alabama.
With 26 seconds left, South Alabama guard Freddie Goldestein was fouled on a three-point attempt by Terrance Shannon with the score tied 69-69. Goldestein calmly sank the trio.
Florida State brought the ball over halfcourt and called timeout. The sideline play started with star, Michael Snear inbouding the ball. The Seminoles tried to free him up with a back screen, but the Jaguars defense was able to recover. Instead of taking a quick two, Snaer launched a contest three that didn’t even hit the rim.
South Alabama was able to sink the free throws down the stretch to leave Tallahassee with a season-opening victory.
The 6-foot-5 Snaer shot only 2-for-11 and 0-for-6 behind the arc, ending the night with 11 points.
South Alabama was hot from the perimeter, connecting on 60 percent from three (9-15), led by Antoine Allen’s 21 points (four three-pointers).
More importantly, the 6-foot-1 Allen was cleared by the NCAA just hours before the game. Allen missed South Alabama’s last scrimmage due to eligibility issues.
FSU and USA combined for 36 turnovers.
Florida State plays Buffalo Tuesday at home. South Alabama takes on William Carey on Wednesday.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)