Nov 9, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
An hour after No. 14 Michigan State was upended by UConn, No. 25 Florida State, the defending ACC champions, suffered an 76-71 upset at home against South Alabama.
With 26 seconds left, South Alabama guard Freddie Goldestein was fouled on a three-point attempt by Terrance Shannon with the score tied 69-69. Goldestein calmly sank the trio.
Florida State brought the ball over halfcourt and called timeout. The sideline play started with star, Michael Snear inbouding the ball. The Seminoles tried to free him up with a back screen, but the Jaguars defense was able to recover. Instead of taking a quick two, Snaer launched a contest three that didn’t even hit the rim.
South Alabama was able to sink the free throws down the stretch to leave Tallahassee with a season-opening victory.
The 6-foot-5 Snaer shot only 2-for-11 and 0-for-6 behind the arc, ending the night with 11 points.
South Alabama was hot from the perimeter, connecting on 60 percent from three (9-15), led by Antoine Allen’s 21 points (four three-pointers).
More importantly, the 6-foot-1 Allen was cleared by the NCAA just hours before the game. Allen missed South Alabama’s last scrimmage due to eligibility issues.
FSU and USA combined for 36 turnovers.
Florida State plays Buffalo Tuesday at home. South Alabama takes on William Carey on Wednesday.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)