Nov 9, 2012, 11:30 AM EST
Game of the Weekend: Sunday, 4:00 p.m. No. 9 Syracuse at No. 20 San Diego State (Fox Sports)
Syracuse flies out to sunny Southern California to take on the Aztecs in a game that was postponed from Friday evening due to a rainout. Seriously. With wet weather settling in over San Diego and the Battle of the Midway set to be played on the USS Midway, one of three aircraft carrier games this weekend, organizers were forced to move the game to Sunday afternoon. But regardless of when the game is played, the ‘where’ is going to be an issue for SDSU. Playing against a zone — especially one as long as Syracuse’s — this early in the season is never an easy task, and that’s before you factor in the complications that come with playing outdoors. There will be a breeze and there won’t be a typical shooting back drop, which means that perimeter jumpshots may not be falling. That would hurt the Aztecs quite a bit.
The other advantage that Syracuse is going to have will be on the interior. SDSU has a ton of good guards, headlined by reigning MWC Player of the Year Jamaal Franklin and the underrated Chase Tapley. But until James Johnson gets eligible in December, they are going to be small up front. Could the bigger Orange take advantage of their size? One guy to keep an eye on for the Cuse will be Michael Carter-Williams. He’s a 6-foot-6 playmaker in the back court that was stuck on the bench as a freshman. He’s expected to have a big year.
Five more games to watch:
- Friday, 7:00 p.m.: No. 4 Ohio State vs. Marquette (NBC Sports Network): Another game that will be played on an aircraft carrier, this one taking place in Charleston, SC. And while it is difficult to make season-long assumptions based on the first game of the season, especially when it is played outdoors, this will be a good chance to get a gauge on both of these teams. Given what OSU has lost the last two season, particularly with Jared Sullinger entering last year’s NBA Draft, the Buckeyes have a lot of questions marks, the most notable being the absence of a secondary scorer alongside Deshaun Thomas. Marquette may be playing without the suspended Todd Mayo, but this is still a Golden Eagle team that is flying a bit under the radar. Buzz Williams always produces tough, disciplined teams that thrive in an underdog role. This group has more talent than they are being given credit for.
- Friday, 8:30 p.m.: No. 3 Kentucky vs. Maryland in Brooklyn (ESPN): There is so much to talk about in this game. The new-look Kentucky roster, the addition of Dez Wells, the recruiting battle over the Harrison twins, the battle between Alex Len and Kentucky’s twin towers. But the most important point to make? Maryland, who is now a top four team in the ACC, will have a great shot to earn a win that will continue to earn dividends as the season progresses and Kentucky improves.
- Friday, 8:05 p.m.: North Texas @ No. 16 Creighton (No TV): These may be the two best mid-major teams in the country. Creighton is a juggernaut on the offensive end of the floor that returns plenty of experience, while the Mean Green of UNT has quite a bit of young, inexperienced talent on their roster. This could end up being one of the five or ten most interesting non-conference games of the season. But it’s biggest selling point? First Team All-American Doug McDermott squaring off with future lottery pick Tony Mitchell. Yes. Please.
- Friday, 9:00 p.m.: No. 10 Florida vs. Georgetown (NBC Sports Network): The more time passes, the more it looks like Georgetown will be able to pull off the upset against the Gators. For starters, two rotation players — Casey Prather (concussion) and starting PG Scottie Wilbekin (suspension) — are out for Florida. Kenny Boynton will be sliding over to the point. That could get interesting. But Florida also is a team that relies quite a bit on perimeter shooting, which is never easy outdoors. Throw in the fact that this Georgetown team has the kind of versatility, with guys like Otto Porter and Greg Whittington, to be a very good defensive team, and I like the Hoyas to pull the upset.
- Friday, 5:00 p.m.: Lehigh at No. 19 Baylor (FOX Sports Southwest): There is one reason and one reason only that I’m so excited about this game: CJ McCollum vs. Pierre Jackson. McCollum is an all-american that finally made a name for himself after three sensational years at Lehigh by leading the Mountain Hawks to a win over No. 2 seed Duke in the opening round of the NCAA tournament. Jackson is a guy that’s had his fair share of critics in his time in Waco, but I think he’s going to have a huge year. He’s as tough-minded and athletic as any point guard in the country, and this will be his team this season. Lehigh will have a shot at pulling this upset if Gabe Knutson can hold his own against Isaiah Austin and Ricardo Gathers up front.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:38 PM EST
Florida got a huge boost for their showdown with Kansas on Tuesday. For the first time this season, we will get a chance to see Scottie Wilbekin and Kasey Hill team up in the back court for the Gators. Wilbekin, a senior, had been suspended for the first five games of the year. Before he…
Dec 9, 2013, 1:44 PM EST
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Chaz Williams, UMass UMass has been one of the nation’s most impressive teams this season, and the reason has been the emergence of guys like Raphiael Putney, Cady Lalanne and Sampson Carter. As good as those three have played, the MVP of this UMass team has been dynamic point guard Chaz Williams,…
Dec 9, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
We knew that Michigan State was banged up the way that they finished their loss to North Carolina last week. Tom Izzo expounded on those issues this week. On Monday, Izzo said that center Matt Costello will be out ”two to three weeks minimum.” Izzo hasn’t confirmed the diagnosis, but he told reporters on Monday that…
Dec 9, 2013, 10:39 AM EST
Former Rutgers player Derrick Randall is suing the university over the way he was treated during Mike Rice’s tenure as the school’s head coach. The lawsuit was filed in the state’s federal court on Friday and names Rice, former assistant coach James Martelli, the university, school president Robert Barchi, former AD Tim Pernetti, CFO Janine Purcaro, and…
Dec 9, 2013, 9:23 AM EST
Entering the season, there seemed to be a consensus top five among pundits: Michigan State, Duke, Louisville, Kentucky and Kansas. A month into the season, all five of those teams have lost at least one game. Four teams have jumped all five in our top 25 rankings: Arizona, Syracuse, Wisconsin and Ohio State. 1. Arizona…
Dec 9, 2013, 12:02 AM EST
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 13 Oregon 115, Ole Miss 105 (OT) Prior to Sunday the 13th-ranked Ducks hadn’t played a game away from Eugene since beating Georgetown in South Korea in their season opener, so their trip to Oxford represented a significant test. And after a Jarvis Summers three-pointer with eight tenths of a…
Dec 8, 2013, 11:06 PM EST
After scoring just ten points as a freshman in Creighton’s loss to Nebraska, senior forward Doug McDermott’s had his way with the Huskers. In each of the ensuing three meetings McDermott’s shot better than 50% from the floor, including a 33-point, eight-rebound performance in the Bluejays’ 82-67 win on Sunday night. Not to take another…
Dec 8, 2013, 9:57 PM EST
Maurice Creek’s college basketball career was destined to be short-lived. 11 games into his freshman season at Indiana, the 6-foot-4 guard from Oxon Hill, MD, was averaging 17.6 points and shooting 45.3% from three, the star of Tom Crean’s first recruiting class at Indiana that also included Jordy Hulls and Christian Watford. He was getting…
Dec 8, 2013, 9:36 PM EST
Based upon the program Andy Enfield inherited when it signed on to become the new head coach at USC, the general expectation was that the Trojans would take their lumps as they transition to the fast-paced style that resulted in FGCU reaching the Sweet 16. And that may very well be the case as the…
Dec 8, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
When it was announced that starting point guard Dominic Artis was one of two players (forward Ben Carter being the other) suspended nine games for a violation of NCAA rules, there wasn’t a great deal of consternation amongst those who follow the Oregon Ducks. Why? There’s still plenty of talent at Dana Altman’s disposal in…
Dec 8, 2013, 6:24 PM EST
George Washington did everything they could to give away a 66-52 lead in the final seven minutes against Maryland in the nightcap of the BB&T Classic at the Verizon Center on Sunday afternoon. With Dez Wells stuck on the bench after picking up his fifth foul and the Terps on their heels thanks to a…
Dec 8, 2013, 5:27 PM EST
Just days after surviving a tough test at city rival San Diego, No. 24 San Diego State played arguably its worst half of the season against Washington on Sunday afternoon. While the Aztecs aren’t a team chock full of prolific shooters, they do have multiple athletes capable of finding quality looks both at the rim…
Dec 8, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
UCLA ended up losing its first game of the season, at the hands of undefeated Missouri, 80-71, on Saturday afternoon in Columbia. But did you see the dunk freshman guard Zach LaVine had toward the end of the first half? A Missouri player slipped near halfcourt, as the intended pass went flying by him. LaVine…
Dec 8, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Michigan leading scorer Nik Stauskas rolled his ankle in the second half of the Wolverines’ 63-61 loss to Charlotte in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off championship game on Nov. 24. That ankle kept him out in a blowout win against Coppin State, and thanks to the defensive performances of Tyler Thornton and Matt Jones, Stauskas scored…
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
With 3.8 second left, Saint Louis forward Dwayne Evans tossed his inbounds pass to Rob Loe, who drove to the bucket, but his lefty layup was blocked. The Valparaiso defense had its heads turned, allowing Mike McCall Jr. to slip past on the box out, and tipped in the game-winner as the Billikens escaped with…
Dec 8, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind. opened in 1971 and holds five national championship banners as well as serving as a winter home for 17,472 Hoosier fans each season. It’s one of the most iconic venues in all of college basketball, but the university is looking to improve the condition of its longtime arena, according to…
Dec 8, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 13 Oregon vs. Ole Miss, 5 p.m. (ESPNU) Marshall Henderson and the Rebels welcome the No. 13 Ducks into Oxford for an evening showdown between SEC and Pac-12 programs. Ole Miss won a pair of games in Brooklyn at the Barclays Center Classic to end November, but on Thursday suffered…
Dec 8, 2013, 10:06 AM EST
Last week, the Dayton Flyers made a surprise run in the Maui Invitational, defeating Gonzaga, outplaying Baylor before the Bears rallied late in the game to advance to the finals, and then concluding their trip in Hawaii with a win over Cal. The Flyers were picked to finish seventh in the Atlantic 10, but the…
Dec 8, 2013, 2:16 AM EST
GAME OF THE NIGHT: Colorado 75, No. 6 Kansas 72 Yup, that was awesome. We already wrote two columns off of this game. My take on Kansas is here. Raphielle Johnson wrote on Colorado here. THE OTHER GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 17 Iowa State 91, Northern Iowa 82 OT We should just assume that…
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 0
- Former Rutgers player Derrick Randall sues school over Mike Rice’s actions 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings 0
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)