Nov 9, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Game of the Weekend: Sunday, 4:00 p.m. No. 9 Syracuse at No. 20 San Diego State (Fox Sports)
Syracuse flies out to sunny Southern California to take on the Aztecs in a game that was postponed from Friday evening due to a rainout. Seriously. With wet weather settling in over San Diego and the Battle of the Midway set to be played on the USS Midway, one of three aircraft carrier games this weekend, organizers were forced to move the game to Sunday afternoon. But regardless of when the game is played, the ‘where’ is going to be an issue for SDSU. Playing against a zone — especially one as long as Syracuse’s — this early in the season is never an easy task, and that’s before you factor in the complications that come with playing outdoors. There will be a breeze and there won’t be a typical shooting back drop, which means that perimeter jumpshots may not be falling. That would hurt the Aztecs quite a bit.
The other advantage that Syracuse is going to have will be on the interior. SDSU has a ton of good guards, headlined by reigning MWC Player of the Year Jamaal Franklin and the underrated Chase Tapley. But until James Johnson gets eligible in December, they are going to be small up front. Could the bigger Orange take advantage of their size? One guy to keep an eye on for the Cuse will be Michael Carter-Williams. He’s a 6-foot-6 playmaker in the back court that was stuck on the bench as a freshman. He’s expected to have a big year.
Five more games to watch:
- Friday, 7:00 p.m.: No. 4 Ohio State vs. Marquette (NBC Sports Network): Another game that will be played on an aircraft carrier, this one taking place in Charleston, SC. And while it is difficult to make season-long assumptions based on the first game of the season, especially when it is played outdoors, this will be a good chance to get a gauge on both of these teams. Given what OSU has lost the last two season, particularly with Jared Sullinger entering last year’s NBA Draft, the Buckeyes have a lot of questions marks, the most notable being the absence of a secondary scorer alongside Deshaun Thomas. Marquette may be playing without the suspended Todd Mayo, but this is still a Golden Eagle team that is flying a bit under the radar. Buzz Williams always produces tough, disciplined teams that thrive in an underdog role. This group has more talent than they are being given credit for.
- Friday, 8:30 p.m.: No. 3 Kentucky vs. Maryland in Brooklyn (ESPN): There is so much to talk about in this game. The new-look Kentucky roster, the addition of Dez Wells, the recruiting battle over the Harrison twins, the battle between Alex Len and Kentucky’s twin towers. But the most important point to make? Maryland, who is now a top four team in the ACC, will have a great shot to earn a win that will continue to earn dividends as the season progresses and Kentucky improves.
- Friday, 8:05 p.m.: North Texas @ No. 16 Creighton (No TV): These may be the two best mid-major teams in the country. Creighton is a juggernaut on the offensive end of the floor that returns plenty of experience, while the Mean Green of UNT has quite a bit of young, inexperienced talent on their roster. This could end up being one of the five or ten most interesting non-conference games of the season. But it’s biggest selling point? First Team All-American Doug McDermott squaring off with future lottery pick Tony Mitchell. Yes. Please.
- Friday, 9:00 p.m.: No. 10 Florida vs. Georgetown (NBC Sports Network): The more time passes, the more it looks like Georgetown will be able to pull off the upset against the Gators. For starters, two rotation players — Casey Prather (concussion) and starting PG Scottie Wilbekin (suspension) — are out for Florida. Kenny Boynton will be sliding over to the point. That could get interesting. But Florida also is a team that relies quite a bit on perimeter shooting, which is never easy outdoors. Throw in the fact that this Georgetown team has the kind of versatility, with guys like Otto Porter and Greg Whittington, to be a very good defensive team, and I like the Hoyas to pull the upset.
- Friday, 5:00 p.m.: Lehigh at No. 19 Baylor (FOX Sports Southwest): There is one reason and one reason only that I’m so excited about this game: CJ McCollum vs. Pierre Jackson. McCollum is an all-american that finally made a name for himself after three sensational years at Lehigh by leading the Mountain Hawks to a win over No. 2 seed Duke in the opening round of the NCAA tournament. Jackson is a guy that’s had his fair share of critics in his time in Waco, but I think he’s going to have a huge year. He’s as tough-minded and athletic as any point guard in the country, and this will be his team this season. Lehigh will have a shot at pulling this upset if Gabe Knutson can hold his own against Isaiah Austin and Ricardo Gathers up front.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The Toronto Blue Jays aren’t thrilled with Creighton filing an application to trademark its logo, which was unveiled last September.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Rick Barnes entered last season on nearly every pundit’s “hot seat” rankings, only to turn things around and win 24 games.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Mo’ne Davis is currently focused on winning a LLWS title, but down the line she really wants to run the point at UConn.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Aaron McKie ranks sixth on Temple’s all-time scoring list, and he played 13 seasons in the NBA.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
UConn’s league schedule is only getting weaker. They need to beef up in the non-conference.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
A quick explanation of why John Calipari can be a great coach without being a great x’s-and-o’s coach.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Do you agree with that ranking?
Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
But would hiring Cremins be a way to get Anthony Johnson the job?
Aug 21, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
It is absolutely hilarious.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Five points down, 2.8 seconds left, and victorious?
Aug 21, 2014, 9:34 AM EDT
Rozier will be the most important player for Louisville this season.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Redshirting helped Eli Carter as he looks to recover from a broken leg suffered in 2013, but he still isn’t at the level he was prior to the injury.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
According to reports Dominic Woodson will be enrolling at Tennessee in time for the start of classes Thursday.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Four-star shooting guard Terance Mann picked Florida State over Arizona State, Boston College, Indiana, Marquette and Rhode Island.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Curtis Malone is serving a 100-month sentence after pleading guilty to being a part of a drug ring that brought in $80,000 in profits per month.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
A report stated that a blood clot in Chai Baker’s leg may have resulted in his collapsing during a workout on Tuesday.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Deville Smith averaged 9.7 points and 2.7 assists in 32 games last season, making 18 starts.
Aug 20, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Kennard is the No. 19 recruit in the Rivals top 150.
Aug 20, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Bryn Forbes averaged 15.6 points per game last season, shooting 43.4% from the field and 42.4% from three-point range.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
How can Nebraska build on their surprising, successful 2013-2014 season?
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (4)