Nov 10, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
James Michael McAdoo has been pointed to as a possible breakout player in 2012-13 and, if Friday night was any indication, the pundits just might be right.
McAdoo scored 26 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to lead No. 11 North Carolina over Gardner-Webb, 76-59, on Friday night in Chapel Hill.
“We did try to do a lot of things with a lot of different lineups,” head coach Roy Williams said after the game. “Four freshmen, first time they were in there, so I think it was good for them.
“Gardner-Webb had an experienced team, and they made us look bad at times. I am disappointed in how we played, but I’m not disappointed in my team.”
That is one major task that Williams is tabbed with this season, making up for the loss of four NBA first-round draft picks and filling the gaps with an assortment of young players.
Guard Marcus Paige, a freshman who steps in for the NBA-bound Kendall Marshall, had six points and two steals, but also turned the ball over four times.
“I think I can build off this. It was a decent game,” Paige said. “I got the first game out of the way and first game jitters out of the way. I think I did alright but there’s definitely a lot of room for improvement.”
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)