Nov 10, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
James Michael McAdoo has been pointed to as a possible breakout player in 2012-13 and, if Friday night was any indication, the pundits just might be right.
McAdoo scored 26 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to lead No. 11 North Carolina over Gardner-Webb, 76-59, on Friday night in Chapel Hill.
“We did try to do a lot of things with a lot of different lineups,” head coach Roy Williams said after the game. “Four freshmen, first time they were in there, so I think it was good for them.
“Gardner-Webb had an experienced team, and they made us look bad at times. I am disappointed in how we played, but I’m not disappointed in my team.”
That is one major task that Williams is tabbed with this season, making up for the loss of four NBA first-round draft picks and filling the gaps with an assortment of young players.
Guard Marcus Paige, a freshman who steps in for the NBA-bound Kendall Marshall, had six points and two steals, but also turned the ball over four times.
“I think I can build off this. It was a decent game,” Paige said. “I got the first game out of the way and first game jitters out of the way. I think I did alright but there’s definitely a lot of room for improvement.”
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)