Nov 10, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
James Michael McAdoo has been pointed to as a possible breakout player in 2012-13 and, if Friday night was any indication, the pundits just might be right.
McAdoo scored 26 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to lead No. 11 North Carolina over Gardner-Webb, 76-59, on Friday night in Chapel Hill.
“We did try to do a lot of things with a lot of different lineups,” head coach Roy Williams said after the game. “Four freshmen, first time they were in there, so I think it was good for them.
“Gardner-Webb had an experienced team, and they made us look bad at times. I am disappointed in how we played, but I’m not disappointed in my team.”
That is one major task that Williams is tabbed with this season, making up for the loss of four NBA first-round draft picks and filling the gaps with an assortment of young players.
Guard Marcus Paige, a freshman who steps in for the NBA-bound Kendall Marshall, had six points and two steals, but also turned the ball over four times.
“I think I can build off this. It was a decent game,” Paige said. “I got the first game out of the way and first game jitters out of the way. I think I did alright but there’s definitely a lot of room for improvement.”
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 0
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)