Nov 10, 2012, 10:09 AM EDT
Memphis junior guard Geron Johnson has been suspended by the NCAA for three games for receiving impermissible benefits prior to his enrollment at the school, the university said in a release Friday.
According to the release, the NCAA’s suspension is “the result of extra benefits received by Johnson from a family friend who assisted the family with his educational expenses prior to his enrollment at the University of Memphis.”
Johnson played his first two years of college basketball in junior college and committed to the Tigers in February. Prior to his commitment, he reportedly had interest from other high-major programs that include Kansas, Pittsburgh, and others.
Memphis opens its on Monday, Nov. 12 against North Florida, which marks the first game Johnson will sit out. He will also miss games against Samford on Nov. 17 and Virginia Commonwealth on Nov. 22.
Coach Josh Pastner and the Tigers were chosen to repeat as champions of Conference USA in the league’s preseason coaches’ poll. This is the final season for Memphis in the C-USA before it moves to the Big East for the start of the 2013-14 season.
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)