Nov 10, 2012, 10:09 AM EDT
Memphis junior guard Geron Johnson has been suspended by the NCAA for three games for receiving impermissible benefits prior to his enrollment at the school, the university said in a release Friday.
According to the release, the NCAA’s suspension is “the result of extra benefits received by Johnson from a family friend who assisted the family with his educational expenses prior to his enrollment at the University of Memphis.”
Johnson played his first two years of college basketball in junior college and committed to the Tigers in February. Prior to his commitment, he reportedly had interest from other high-major programs that include Kansas, Pittsburgh, and others.
Memphis opens its on Monday, Nov. 12 against North Florida, which marks the first game Johnson will sit out. He will also miss games against Samford on Nov. 17 and Virginia Commonwealth on Nov. 22.
Coach Josh Pastner and the Tigers were chosen to repeat as champions of Conference USA in the league’s preseason coaches’ poll. This is the final season for Memphis in the C-USA before it moves to the Big East for the start of the 2013-14 season.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)