Nov 10, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
UConn and Central Florida may not be eligible for the postseason, but it appears neither program will lie down and roll over for opponents this year.
The Huskies served notice on Friday, downing a ranked Michigan State squad in a marquee matchup at Ramstein Air Base in Germany. The Knights and Bulls met in a slightly less exotic environment, on the USF campus in Tampa. The two will become regular foes in the Big East in the very near future, but this was an interesting taste of what lies ahead, as the Knights won handily, 74-56.
The USF Bulls are nominally the stronger team, though that perception may have been fueled by the postseason ban facing the Knights. UCF trotted out an experienced roster in front of a home crowd, led by junior guard Isaiah Sykes, who put up 26 points, grabbed 11 rebounds, and dished out eight assists. Forward Keith Clanton chipped in 16, Virginia transfer Tristan Spurlock had 14, and Kasey Wilson joined the double-figure parade as well, adding 13. The Bulls had only one player in double figures: senior guard Jawanza Poland, who led all scorers with 22.
Both teams exposed potential weaknesses in the in-state rivalry game. Central Florida got only two points from the bench, which won’t fly all year long. South Florida showed an astonishing weakness on the interior, where Victor Rudd, Toarlyn Fitzpatrick and Kore White are expected to flourish.
It’s early, but the Knights are letting America know that, post-season or no, they plan to show up.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
The Mustangs and Bulldogs are looking to meet in a home-and-home series.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Watch the 7-foot-6 center play baseball.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
He will have two years of eligibility remaining.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Washington State loses three players, including a starting guard.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
The NCAA approved a rule change that will benefit student-athletes.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Okoroh will follow Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee to Cal.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Tom Izzo returns a key player from last season’s 29-win team.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
A pair of starters will leave Arizona following an Elite 8 appearance.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Big Ten regular season champion has lost two underclassmen to the NBA draft with the possibility of a third departure as well.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee was a marriage that needed to end. On Tuesday, it did.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Cal dipped into SEC territory to land their new head coach.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
The Miami investigation keeps getting more embarrassing for the NCAA.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
The future Kentucky Wildcat had an impressive showing at the Hoop Summit last weekend.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Gonzaga is close to landing the son of another legend of the 80s
Apr 15, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
He lies to the NBA?
Apr 14, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT
Syracuse landed another 2015 pledge on Monday evening when guard Franklin Howard committed to the Orange.
Apr 14, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Duke freshman forward Jabari Parker will decide on his future this week.
Apr 14, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Washington point guard Nigel Williams-Goss will return for his sophomore season.
Apr 14, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
Cornell transfer Nolan Cressler has committed to Vanderbilt.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)