Nov 11, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
Wisconsin picked up a fifth verbal commitment in its 2013 class on Sunday night, as 6-7 forward Nigel Hayes (Toledo, OH/Whitmer HS) has decided to play for Bo Ryan.
The news was first reported by Reggie Rankin of ESPN.com, and Hayes picked the Badgers over Ohio State and Stanford.
Just Spoke with PF Nigel Hayes he is headed to Wisconsin. Skilled, Versatile with a excellent basketball IQ.—
Reggie Rankin (@ReggieRankin) November 12, 2012
Hayes joins a class headlined by point guard Bronson Koenig, and with three of Wisconsin’s five seniors being starters this is an important recruiting class for the program.
Jared Berggren, Mike Bruesewitz and Ryan Evans are all entering their final year of eligibility, and the hope is that the 2013 class will help fill in some of those gaps.
Joining Hayes and Koenig are forwards Vitto Brown and Riley Dearring and guard Jordan Hill.
Wisconsin worked hard to land Hayes and the effort paid off, capping what’s been a good day for the Badger program.
The Badgers won their 11th consecutive season opener on Sunday, as Berggren scored a team-high 19 points and Ben Brust posted a double-double (14 points, 11 rebounds) in the 84-47 win over Southeastern Louisiana.
Also of note in the victory was the return of Bruesewitz, who was expected to miss anywhere from four to six weeks due to a gruesome cut he suffered in a weight room accident last month.
Bruesewitz played 13 minutes on Sunday, scoring ten points and grabbing three rebounds.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum led the way for the Americans.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Cal’s name seems to always pop up in the NBA.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
It will be expanded into a full-length movie.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s fun to watch Tacko Fall dominate high school competition.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Maverick Rowan is reportedly focused on three schools.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
UCF is losing its third-leading scorer from last season to transfer.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Xavier landed a three-star forward on Monday.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Former Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg returned to Hilton Coliseum to give one final pre-game speech before a fantasy camp.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
It should not be a surprise who the best player from this class ended up being.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tony Hawk approves this court.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Ryan has never finished below fourth in the Big Ten.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Mullin has completely turned over the St. John’s roster.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Knight’s most famous outburst may be lost to history.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
There are 22 total players participating in the trials.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Steve Alford now has a pair of 2017 commitments.
Jun 28, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
This is a very well thought-out statement from Martin.
Jun 28, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT
Johnny Jones has done an excellent job of recruiting his state in recent years.
Jun 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
South Florida brought in an experienced guard who can contribute after sitting out a transfer season.
Jun 28, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Maryland transfer Robert Carter has worked on his conditioning since arriving from Georgia Tech.
Jun 28, 2015, 1:19 PM EDT
The USA U19 team is off to a 2-0 start at the FIBA World Championships.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 1
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)