Nov 11, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
Wisconsin picked up a fifth verbal commitment in its 2013 class on Sunday night, as 6-7 forward Nigel Hayes (Toledo, OH/Whitmer HS) has decided to play for Bo Ryan.
The news was first reported by Reggie Rankin of ESPN.com, and Hayes picked the Badgers over Ohio State and Stanford.
Just Spoke with PF Nigel Hayes he is headed to Wisconsin. Skilled, Versatile with a excellent basketball IQ.—
Reggie Rankin (@ReggieRankin) November 12, 2012
Hayes joins a class headlined by point guard Bronson Koenig, and with three of Wisconsin’s five seniors being starters this is an important recruiting class for the program.
Jared Berggren, Mike Bruesewitz and Ryan Evans are all entering their final year of eligibility, and the hope is that the 2013 class will help fill in some of those gaps.
Joining Hayes and Koenig are forwards Vitto Brown and Riley Dearring and guard Jordan Hill.
Wisconsin worked hard to land Hayes and the effort paid off, capping what’s been a good day for the Badger program.
The Badgers won their 11th consecutive season opener on Sunday, as Berggren scored a team-high 19 points and Ben Brust posted a double-double (14 points, 11 rebounds) in the 84-47 win over Southeastern Louisiana.
Also of note in the victory was the return of Bruesewitz, who was expected to miss anywhere from four to six weeks due to a gruesome cut he suffered in a weight room accident last month.
Bruesewitz played 13 minutes on Sunday, scoring ten points and grabbing three rebounds.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT
Will play the winner of Michigan State-Oklahoma.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT
Too little too late for the Wolfpack
Mar 27, 2015, 9:26 PM EDT
Gonzaga defeated UCLA to advance to the Elite 8 for the first time under head coach Mark Few.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:22 PM EDT
Andy Toole has been with Robert Morris for five seasons.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:53 PM EDT
Nice big man-to-big man pass.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:32 PM EDT
Class of 2015 five-star center Diamond Stone committed during a surprise announcement on Friday night.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
UNLV freshman Rashad Vaughn addresses NBA Draft rumors.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:28 PM EDT
One of three assists in the first half for Cat Barber.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Aaron Harrison left Thursday night’s game briefly with a finger injury.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
For the second time this month, the Indiana athletic director backed the school’s head coach.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Arizona hasn’t been to the Final Four since 2001, but all involved are focused on Wisconsin and not that streak.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Frazier is projected as a second round pick.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-7 forward has two years of eligibility left.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:36 PM EDT
Rick Barnes has been with Texas for 17 seasons.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:39 PM EDT
Lavin had been with the St. John’s program for five years.
Mar 27, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Prohm was one of the hottest names on the coaching carousel.
Mar 27, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Nigel Hayes has become a national sensation this tournament.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Two transfers in one week is not a good thing.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
It’s pretty cool to see this process in action.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
Forbes spent two years as an assistant at Wichita State.
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 0
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)