Nov 11, 2012, 9:46 AM EDT
Arizona State freshman Calaen Robinson will sit out the 2012-13 season, Sun Devils’ coach Herb Sendek announced Saturday night.
According to the Associated Press, Robinson has not been with the team since the start of practicing while he deals with what is being termed an “off-the-court matter.”
Robinson is a 6-1 left-handed guard from Tempe Corona del Sol High School (Ariz.) who is part of Sendek’s three-man recruiting haul from the Class of 2012. He chose Arizona State over St. Mary’s (Calif.).
As for the Sun Devils, they were chosen to finish 11th in the conference in the preseason poll, ahead of only Utah.
But a major bright spot comes to the team for the start of the season, as freshman Jahii Carson finds his way onto the roster after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA last season.
Arizona State got a victory in its first game of the season Saturday night, defeating Central Arkansas, 79-64. Carson had 15 points and five assists and center Jordan Bachynski had a double-double of 17 points and 12 rebounds.
“It was wonderful to hear the applause [Carson] received when he was announced for the starting lineups,” Sendek said postgame. “For not having played since the state championship game his senior year, this was the first time to get back out there and I thought he did a heck of a job. Really happy for him and proud of him.”
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)