Nov 11, 2012, 9:46 AM EST
Arizona State freshman Calaen Robinson will sit out the 2012-13 season, Sun Devils’ coach Herb Sendek announced Saturday night.
According to the Associated Press, Robinson has not been with the team since the start of practicing while he deals with what is being termed an “off-the-court matter.”
Robinson is a 6-1 left-handed guard from Tempe Corona del Sol High School (Ariz.) who is part of Sendek’s three-man recruiting haul from the Class of 2012. He chose Arizona State over St. Mary’s (Calif.).
As for the Sun Devils, they were chosen to finish 11th in the conference in the preseason poll, ahead of only Utah.
But a major bright spot comes to the team for the start of the season, as freshman Jahii Carson finds his way onto the roster after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA last season.
Arizona State got a victory in its first game of the season Saturday night, defeating Central Arkansas, 79-64. Carson had 15 points and five assists and center Jordan Bachynski had a double-double of 17 points and 12 rebounds.
“It was wonderful to hear the applause [Carson] received when he was announced for the starting lineups,” Sendek said postgame. “For not having played since the state championship game his senior year, this was the first time to get back out there and I thought he did a heck of a job. Really happy for him and proud of him.”
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 1
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 9
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (10)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)