Nov 11, 2012, 9:46 AM EDT
Arizona State freshman Calaen Robinson will sit out the 2012-13 season, Sun Devils’ coach Herb Sendek announced Saturday night.
According to the Associated Press, Robinson has not been with the team since the start of practicing while he deals with what is being termed an “off-the-court matter.”
Robinson is a 6-1 left-handed guard from Tempe Corona del Sol High School (Ariz.) who is part of Sendek’s three-man recruiting haul from the Class of 2012. He chose Arizona State over St. Mary’s (Calif.).
As for the Sun Devils, they were chosen to finish 11th in the conference in the preseason poll, ahead of only Utah.
But a major bright spot comes to the team for the start of the season, as freshman Jahii Carson finds his way onto the roster after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA last season.
Arizona State got a victory in its first game of the season Saturday night, defeating Central Arkansas, 79-64. Carson had 15 points and five assists and center Jordan Bachynski had a double-double of 17 points and 12 rebounds.
“It was wonderful to hear the applause [Carson] received when he was announced for the starting lineups,” Sendek said postgame. “For not having played since the state championship game his senior year, this was the first time to get back out there and I thought he did a heck of a job. Really happy for him and proud of him.”
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)