Nov 11, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
When head coach Tim Miles bolted to take the same position at Nebraska this offseason, Colorado State was left searching. The search lasted less than a month, and the Rams found their man.
Larry Eustachy, most recently the head coach at Southern Miss and previously at Iowa State, officially stepped in to take Miles’ spot in April, thus beginning a new era in Colorado Springs.
In his first game on the sidelines Saturday night, Eustachy helped the Rams overcome a seven-point halftime deficit to defeat Montana, 72-65.
“It was a great win under the circumstances with Montana,” said Eustachy after the game. “They have a real system going and we have a new coach coming in here with new players trying to blend in with the old and I just thought that was a great opponent. ”
Colton Iverson, the now-eligible transfer from Minnesota making his debut for Colorado State, led the way with 18 points and eight rebounds. The Rams otherwise had a balanced scoring attack, with five players reaching double figures.
Eustachy and the Rams were chosen to finish fourth in the Mountain Preseason Coaches’ Poll, behind San Diego State, UNLV, and New Mexico.
They return to the court Thursday night against Chadron State.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)