Nov 11, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
When head coach Tim Miles bolted to take the same position at Nebraska this offseason, Colorado State was left searching. The search lasted less than a month, and the Rams found their man.
Larry Eustachy, most recently the head coach at Southern Miss and previously at Iowa State, officially stepped in to take Miles’ spot in April, thus beginning a new era in Colorado Springs.
In his first game on the sidelines Saturday night, Eustachy helped the Rams overcome a seven-point halftime deficit to defeat Montana, 72-65.
“It was a great win under the circumstances with Montana,” said Eustachy after the game. “They have a real system going and we have a new coach coming in here with new players trying to blend in with the old and I just thought that was a great opponent. “
Colton Iverson, the now-eligible transfer from Minnesota making his debut for Colorado State, led the way with 18 points and eight rebounds. The Rams otherwise had a balanced scoring attack, with five players reaching double figures.
Eustachy and the Rams were chosen to finish fourth in the Mountain Preseason Coaches’ Poll, behind San Diego State, UNLV, and New Mexico.
They return to the court Thursday night against Chadron State.
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)