Nov 11, 2012, 1:11 AM EST
Cody Zeller and top-ranked Indiana breezed past Bryant 97-54 on Friday night.
For Tom Crean, that was one of two wins on the weekend, as IU landed a commitment from 2013 forward Noah Vonleh (New Hampton Prep/Haverhill, MA), who was on campus this weekend on an official visit.
The news was broke by ESPN late Saturday night, when Vonleh announced his decision.
“As soon as I walked out near the court they started chanting ‘We want Noah,'” Vonleh told ESPN’s Adam Finkelstein.
Vonleh, who had decided to reclassify to the Class of 2013 in September, picked Indiana over North Carolina, Connecticut, Ohio State, Georgetown, and Syracuse.
The 6-foot-8 Vonleh was Crean’s most sought after recruit and now Vonleh headlines the Indiana recruiting class along with small forward Troy Williams (Oak Hill/Hampton, VA).
The newest commitment for IU just keeps the good times rolling. Zeller, the preseason player of the year, will likely jump to the NBA following this season and Vonleh adds a player that can step in and make an immediate impact in the Hoosier frontcourt.
Vonleh has a unique skill set. He has the size and strength to play inside, but he has also been able to develop more of a small forward game. He has stretched his offensive skills outside the three-point line, consistently knocking down shots. Vonleh can also take his man of the dribble and rebounds at a high level.
“From day one, Indiana has been recruiting me the hardest,” Vonleh told Finkelstein. “They were just letting me know how they could develop me into the player I want to be at the next level. Their academics are good, they’re the No. 1 team in the country, and they’ve got another great class coming in next year.”
Vonleh was a consensus top-10 player and a USA Today preseason All-American . He’s the sixth player to give Crean his verbal commitment.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)