South Carolina freshman Laimonas Chatkevicius suspended six games for receiving impermissible benefits
Nov 11, 2012, 2:16 PM EST
South Carolina freshman forward Laimonas Chatkevicius has been suspended for the first six games of the 2012-13 season for taking impermissible benefits, the school announced Sunday.
According to the release, Chatkevicius received the benefits from his host family prior to enrolling at South Carolina.
The seven-footer Chatkevicius is the biggest part of coach Frank Martin’s five-man 2012 recruiting class, his first with the Gamecocks. Martin was hired at South Carolina in late March, with Chatkevicius’ commitment coming in April.
He chose to commit to South Carolina over Kansas State, Martin’s former school, and Missouri.
The six-game suspension will keep Chatkevicius out until December, barring him in action Sunday against Milwaukee, followed by games against Morgan State, Rider, Elon, Missouri State, and St. John’s. He is slated to return Dec. 2 against Clemson.
The media chose South Carolina to finish 13th in the SEC this season, ahead of only Mississippi State.
The Gamecocks begin their season Sunday against Milwaukee in the Hoops for Hope Classic.
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)