South Carolina freshman Laimonas Chatkevicius suspended six games for receiving impermissible benefits
Nov 11, 2012, 2:16 PM EST
South Carolina freshman forward Laimonas Chatkevicius has been suspended for the first six games of the 2012-13 season for taking impermissible benefits, the school announced Sunday.
According to the release, Chatkevicius received the benefits from his host family prior to enrolling at South Carolina.
The seven-footer Chatkevicius is the biggest part of coach Frank Martin’s five-man 2012 recruiting class, his first with the Gamecocks. Martin was hired at South Carolina in late March, with Chatkevicius’ commitment coming in April.
He chose to commit to South Carolina over Kansas State, Martin’s former school, and Missouri.
The six-game suspension will keep Chatkevicius out until December, barring him in action Sunday against Milwaukee, followed by games against Morgan State, Rider, Elon, Missouri State, and St. John’s. He is slated to return Dec. 2 against Clemson.
The media chose South Carolina to finish 13th in the SEC this season, ahead of only Mississippi State.
The Gamecocks begin their season Sunday against Milwaukee in the Hoops for Hope Classic.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)