South Carolina freshman Laimonas Chatkevicius suspended six games for receiving impermissible benefits
Nov 11, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
South Carolina freshman forward Laimonas Chatkevicius has been suspended for the first six games of the 2012-13 season for taking impermissible benefits, the school announced Sunday.
According to the release, Chatkevicius received the benefits from his host family prior to enrolling at South Carolina.
The seven-footer Chatkevicius is the biggest part of coach Frank Martin’s five-man 2012 recruiting class, his first with the Gamecocks. Martin was hired at South Carolina in late March, with Chatkevicius’ commitment coming in April.
He chose to commit to South Carolina over Kansas State, Martin’s former school, and Missouri.
The six-game suspension will keep Chatkevicius out until December, barring him in action Sunday against Milwaukee, followed by games against Morgan State, Rider, Elon, Missouri State, and St. John’s. He is slated to return Dec. 2 against Clemson.
The media chose South Carolina to finish 13th in the SEC this season, ahead of only Mississippi State.
The Gamecocks begin their season Sunday against Milwaukee in the Hoops for Hope Classic.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)