Nov 11, 2012, 3:51 PM EST
Wisconsin senior forward Mike Bruesewitz has been cleared to play for the Badgers after suffering a deep leg laceration last month, the school announced via Twitter Sunday.
Bruesewitz’s injury in October required surgery, but he now returns for Sunday’s game against Southeast Louisiana. Following his surgery, he was given a 4-6 week window to recover from the injury, meaning that he healed well and can now return in time for the season opener.
Last season, Bruesewitz averaged 5.6 points and 5.1 rebounds per game as part of a solid frontcourt that started all 36 games for the Badgers.
The Badgers also announced Sunday that junior forward Duje Dukan would redshirt this season, citing lingering effects from mononucleosis. He has appeared in 21 games over the past two seasons with Wisconsin.
“I missed most of the month of September and I felt like I could definitely contribute, but the recovery process has lasted longer than I expected,” Dukan said in a statement. “I feel like I’d be playing catch-up the whole season and I didn’t want to waste a year. I can instead use this season for development and to get stronger and help my teammates reach our goals this season.”
Wisconsin was picked to finish fifth in the 2012-13 Big Ten media poll, slotted behind Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State.
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)