Nov 11, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Wisconsin senior forward Mike Bruesewitz has been cleared to play for the Badgers after suffering a deep leg laceration last month, the school announced via Twitter Sunday.
Bruesewitz’s injury in October required surgery, but he now returns for Sunday’s game against Southeast Louisiana. Following his surgery, he was given a 4-6 week window to recover from the injury, meaning that he healed well and can now return in time for the season opener.
Last season, Bruesewitz averaged 5.6 points and 5.1 rebounds per game as part of a solid frontcourt that started all 36 games for the Badgers.
The Badgers also announced Sunday that junior forward Duje Dukan would redshirt this season, citing lingering effects from mononucleosis. He has appeared in 21 games over the past two seasons with Wisconsin.
“I missed most of the month of September and I felt like I could definitely contribute, but the recovery process has lasted longer than I expected,” Dukan said in a statement. “I feel like I’d be playing catch-up the whole season and I didn’t want to waste a year. I can instead use this season for development and to get stronger and help my teammates reach our goals this season.”
Wisconsin was picked to finish fifth in the 2012-13 Big Ten media poll, slotted behind Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)