Nov 11, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Wisconsin senior forward Mike Bruesewitz has been cleared to play for the Badgers after suffering a deep leg laceration last month, the school announced via Twitter Sunday.
Bruesewitz’s injury in October required surgery, but he now returns for Sunday’s game against Southeast Louisiana. Following his surgery, he was given a 4-6 week window to recover from the injury, meaning that he healed well and can now return in time for the season opener.
Last season, Bruesewitz averaged 5.6 points and 5.1 rebounds per game as part of a solid frontcourt that started all 36 games for the Badgers.
The Badgers also announced Sunday that junior forward Duje Dukan would redshirt this season, citing lingering effects from mononucleosis. He has appeared in 21 games over the past two seasons with Wisconsin.
“I missed most of the month of September and I felt like I could definitely contribute, but the recovery process has lasted longer than I expected,” Dukan said in a statement. “I feel like I’d be playing catch-up the whole season and I didn’t want to waste a year. I can instead use this season for development and to get stronger and help my teammates reach our goals this season.”
Wisconsin was picked to finish fifth in the 2012-13 Big Ten media poll, slotted behind Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)