Nov 11, 2012, 3:51 PM EST
Wisconsin senior forward Mike Bruesewitz has been cleared to play for the Badgers after suffering a deep leg laceration last month, the school announced via Twitter Sunday.
Bruesewitz’s injury in October required surgery, but he now returns for Sunday’s game against Southeast Louisiana. Following his surgery, he was given a 4-6 week window to recover from the injury, meaning that he healed well and can now return in time for the season opener.
Last season, Bruesewitz averaged 5.6 points and 5.1 rebounds per game as part of a solid frontcourt that started all 36 games for the Badgers.
The Badgers also announced Sunday that junior forward Duje Dukan would redshirt this season, citing lingering effects from mononucleosis. He has appeared in 21 games over the past two seasons with Wisconsin.
“I missed most of the month of September and I felt like I could definitely contribute, but the recovery process has lasted longer than I expected,” Dukan said in a statement. “I feel like I’d be playing catch-up the whole season and I didn’t want to waste a year. I can instead use this season for development and to get stronger and help my teammates reach our goals this season.”
Wisconsin was picked to finish fifth in the 2012-13 Big Ten media poll, slotted behind Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)