Nov 12, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
Stop me if you’ve heard this before: A Pittsburgh player leaves the team less than a semester into the season.
This time it’s John Johnson, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Johnson, a 6-1 guard from Philadelphia, didn’t play a minute in the Panthers’ 80-48 victory over Mt. St. Mary’s in their season opener on Friday night.
This is starting to become a trend for Jamie Dixon. Johnson is the second player in the past two seasons to transfer from the program before his first full semester on campus. Prized recruit Khem Birch left the team after 10 games last season. He’ll be eligible for UNLV at the end of this semester.
Is it a coincidence or something that those covering hoops will want to monitor? I’d still need to see more proof before we start raising eyebrows, but something obviously isn’t right for two players to leave this quickly into a season in consecutive years from a program that has had sustained success under Dixon.
Johnson combined to play a total of 29 minutes and score nine points in two exhibition games, including playing 17 minutes and scoring seven points in the second exhibition game, against Hawaii-Hilo.
As a freshman, Johnson averaged 4.2 points per game and hit 33 three-pointers on the season, fifth on the team. He played in all 39 games with two starts.
After reviewing everything, this looks like a case of a disgruntled player. He lost his minutes, however early in the season, to newcomer Trey Zeigler (11 points in his Pitt debut) and freshman James Robinson (six points, four rebounds in 29 minutes). You hate to see players make knee-jerk reactions like this, but hey, in this day of the “produce or get gone” mentality, it’s going to keep happening.
- Despite allegations Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 0
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional