Nov 12, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Y’all want to talk more transfers? I thought so.
CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman is reporting that Texas A&M forward Daniel Alexander is leaving the Aggies’ program, transferring out.
This comes on the heels of another transfer today, John Johnson from Pitt.
A 6-8 redshirt sophomore, Alexander appeared in 28 games last season, starting four, with averages of 2.4 points and 2.3 rebounds in 11 minutes per game. Not bad numbers, but I guess not numbers that Alexander was satisfied getting in College Station under Billy Kennedy.
In his one game of work this season, Alexander played three minutes, was 0-for-1 from the field and committed one foul. I’m guessing this played a role in his decision to roll out.
An interesting wrinkle in Alexander’s situation is that he already has used a redshirt season, as a freshman. With one game under his belt this season, he could transfer to a junior college, but he’ll only be eligible for one semester there, barring something weird. Without a waiver — which he might get lucky with, given the recent rash of granted waivers in college basketball, despite upcoming guideline changes — he’d have to burn his redshirt sophomore year of eligibility if the Austin, Texas native wanted to stay in Division I. He’d be eligible immediately in any other division or in the NAIA, NCCAA, etc.
I guess I get the “play some games and see what happens” angle by a player to determine whether he wants to transfer, if the transfer were to be based on playing time. But transferring after one game isn’t smart, if that’s what it comes down to. Especially in Alexander’s case, in which three minutes could possibly cost him a year of eligibility.
The transfer wheel continues to turn, ridiculousness and all.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona