Nov 12, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Y’all want to talk more transfers? I thought so.
CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman is reporting that Texas A&M forward Daniel Alexander is leaving the Aggies’ program, transferring out.
This comes on the heels of another transfer today, John Johnson from Pitt.
A 6-8 redshirt sophomore, Alexander appeared in 28 games last season, starting four, with averages of 2.4 points and 2.3 rebounds in 11 minutes per game. Not bad numbers, but I guess not numbers that Alexander was satisfied getting in College Station under Billy Kennedy.
In his one game of work this season, Alexander played three minutes, was 0-for-1 from the field and committed one foul. I’m guessing this played a role in his decision to roll out.
An interesting wrinkle in Alexander’s situation is that he already has used a redshirt season, as a freshman. With one game under his belt this season, he could transfer to a junior college, but he’ll only be eligible for one semester there, barring something weird. Without a waiver — which he might get lucky with, given the recent rash of granted waivers in college basketball, despite upcoming guideline changes — he’d have to burn his redshirt sophomore year of eligibility if the Austin, Texas native wanted to stay in Division I. He’d be eligible immediately in any other division or in the NAIA, NCCAA, etc.
I guess I get the “play some games and see what happens” angle by a player to determine whether he wants to transfer, if the transfer were to be based on playing time. But transferring after one game isn’t smart, if that’s what it comes down to. Especially in Alexander’s case, in which three minutes could possibly cost him a year of eligibility.
The transfer wheel continues to turn, ridiculousness and all.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)