Nov 12, 2012, 8:20 PM EST
Y’all want to talk more transfers? I thought so.
CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman is reporting that Texas A&M forward Daniel Alexander is leaving the Aggies’ program, transferring out.
This comes on the heels of another transfer today, John Johnson from Pitt.
A 6-8 redshirt sophomore, Alexander appeared in 28 games last season, starting four, with averages of 2.4 points and 2.3 rebounds in 11 minutes per game. Not bad numbers, but I guess not numbers that Alexander was satisfied getting in College Station under Billy Kennedy.
In his one game of work this season, Alexander played three minutes, was 0-for-1 from the field and committed one foul. I’m guessing this played a role in his decision to roll out.
An interesting wrinkle in Alexander’s situation is that he already has used a redshirt season, as a freshman. With one game under his belt this season, he could transfer to a junior college, but he’ll only be eligible for one semester there, barring something weird. Without a waiver — which he might get lucky with, given the recent rash of granted waivers in college basketball, despite upcoming guideline changes — he’d have to burn his redshirt sophomore year of eligibility if the Austin, Texas native wanted to stay in Division I. He’d be eligible immediately in any other division or in the NAIA, NCCAA, etc.
I guess I get the “play some games and see what happens” angle by a player to determine whether he wants to transfer, if the transfer were to be based on playing time. But transferring after one game isn’t smart, if that’s what it comes down to. Especially in Alexander’s case, in which three minutes could possibly cost him a year of eligibility.
The transfer wheel continues to turn, ridiculousness and all.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 0
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 1
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)