Nov 12, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Y’all want to talk more transfers? I thought so.
CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman is reporting that Texas A&M forward Daniel Alexander is leaving the Aggies’ program, transferring out.
This comes on the heels of another transfer today, John Johnson from Pitt.
A 6-8 redshirt sophomore, Alexander appeared in 28 games last season, starting four, with averages of 2.4 points and 2.3 rebounds in 11 minutes per game. Not bad numbers, but I guess not numbers that Alexander was satisfied getting in College Station under Billy Kennedy.
In his one game of work this season, Alexander played three minutes, was 0-for-1 from the field and committed one foul. I’m guessing this played a role in his decision to roll out.
An interesting wrinkle in Alexander’s situation is that he already has used a redshirt season, as a freshman. With one game under his belt this season, he could transfer to a junior college, but he’ll only be eligible for one semester there, barring something weird. Without a waiver — which he might get lucky with, given the recent rash of granted waivers in college basketball, despite upcoming guideline changes — he’d have to burn his redshirt sophomore year of eligibility if the Austin, Texas native wanted to stay in Division I. He’d be eligible immediately in any other division or in the NAIA, NCCAA, etc.
I guess I get the “play some games and see what happens” angle by a player to determine whether he wants to transfer, if the transfer were to be based on playing time. But transferring after one game isn’t smart, if that’s what it comes down to. Especially in Alexander’s case, in which three minutes could possibly cost him a year of eligibility.
The transfer wheel continues to turn, ridiculousness and all.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)