Nov 12, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Y’all want to talk more transfers? I thought so.
CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman is reporting that Texas A&M forward Daniel Alexander is leaving the Aggies’ program, transferring out.
This comes on the heels of another transfer today, John Johnson from Pitt.
A 6-8 redshirt sophomore, Alexander appeared in 28 games last season, starting four, with averages of 2.4 points and 2.3 rebounds in 11 minutes per game. Not bad numbers, but I guess not numbers that Alexander was satisfied getting in College Station under Billy Kennedy.
In his one game of work this season, Alexander played three minutes, was 0-for-1 from the field and committed one foul. I’m guessing this played a role in his decision to roll out.
An interesting wrinkle in Alexander’s situation is that he already has used a redshirt season, as a freshman. With one game under his belt this season, he could transfer to a junior college, but he’ll only be eligible for one semester there, barring something weird. Without a waiver — which he might get lucky with, given the recent rash of granted waivers in college basketball, despite upcoming guideline changes — he’d have to burn his redshirt sophomore year of eligibility if the Austin, Texas native wanted to stay in Division I. He’d be eligible immediately in any other division or in the NAIA, NCCAA, etc.
I guess I get the “play some games and see what happens” angle by a player to determine whether he wants to transfer, if the transfer were to be based on playing time. But transferring after one game isn’t smart, if that’s what it comes down to. Especially in Alexander’s case, in which three minutes could possibly cost him a year of eligibility.
The transfer wheel continues to turn, ridiculousness and all.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)