Nov 12, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Last month Dayton, Ohio and the University of Dayton embarked on a campaign to keep the First Four in town as opposed to the NCAA shopping the beginning of the NCAA tournament around to the highest bidder.
And while the school and city hoped for a long-term commitment from the NCAA, Monday’s news is a step in the right direction for Dayton.
The NCAA will leave the First Four in Dayton through the 2015 NCAA tournament, and the possibility a long-term deal down the line remains on the table according to a source.
“It has to be clear, no matter where any visitor travels in the Dayton area that week, that Dayton is the center of the college basketball world when the NCAA comes to town,” Dayton vice president and athletic director Tim Wabler said back in October.
“We have the chance to cement the First Four in Dayton for years to come. It’s our goal to make Dayton as synonymous with the First Four as Omaha is with the College World Series.”
Today’s decision gives the city two more years to display this in hopes of making Dayton the first stop on the trek to the Final Four. And with the Final Four being an event that doesn’t have a fixed location like the College World Series, that isn’t a bad idea.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)