Nov 13, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
7-foot center Joel Embiid was one of the most intriguing 2013 prospects on the recruiting trail this summer due in large part to his upside.
Embiid’s recruitment picked up as a result, and the native of Cameroon announced via Twitter this morning that he’s committed to attend Kansas.
Proud to be a jayhawk—
Joel Hans Embiid (@jojo_embiid) November 13, 2012
Embiid, who attends The Rock School in Gainesville, Florida, chose the Jayhawks over Texas and Florida.
An AAU teammate of Florida commits Kasey Hill and Chris Walker (Florida Elite), Embiid had ample opportunities to display that upside in front of some of the nation’s best coaches and he took advantage.
Embiid’s commitment pushes the number of 2013 verbal commitments to five for Kansas, who already held pledges from three Top 100 prospects (Conner Frankamp, Brannen Greene and Wayne Selden) in addition to point guard Frank Mason.
The reason why so many are intrigued by Embiid’s upside? He’s only played organized basketball for a year, so while he’s extremely raw there’s also the ample room for growth with quality coaching.
It’s safe to say that he’ll receive such tutelage from Bill Self and his staff at Kansas, which has won or shared eight consecutive Big 12 regular season titles.
The Jayhawks don’t lack for young interior talent, considering the fact that Perry Ellis, Landen Lucas and Jamari Traylor are all freshmen (Traylor a redshirt).
But with starting center Jeff Withey and reserve forward Kevin Young both being seniors this season, Kansas needed a big man to close out their 2013 class.
And while it will take some time for Embiid to reach his full potential, consider this “mission accomplished” for the Jayhawks.
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)