Nov 13, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
Behind a double-double of 23 points and 13 rebounds from reigning Horizon League Player of the Year Ryan Broekhoff, Valparaiso defeated Northern Illinois, 69-46, Tuesday morning at Athletics-Recreation Center in Indiana.
Valparaiso (2-0) shot 13-of-24 from three-point range as a team, using the dribble-drive to effectively penetrate the Northern Illinois (0-2) defense and create open shots on the perimeter.
Turnovers plagued the Crusaders in the first half and kept Northern Illinois within seven at halftime, but better ball protection in the second half helped Valparaiso widen the gap.
Guard Matt Kenney added 16 points for the Crusaders on 6-of-8 shooting.
Northern Illinois has been without perhaps its best player, Abdul Nader, who was suspended Friday for an unspecified number of games for violating team rules. He averaged 10.4 points and 4.2 rebounds per game last season as a freshman.
The Huskies shot just 29 percent from the field and had just one player in double figures. Aksel Bolin narrowly missed a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds.
Valparaiso, the Horizon League favorites this season, take on their first BCS opponent when they meet Nebraska on Thursday.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)