Nov 13, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
Behind a double-double of 23 points and 13 rebounds from reigning Horizon League Player of the Year Ryan Broekhoff, Valparaiso defeated Northern Illinois, 69-46, Tuesday morning at Athletics-Recreation Center in Indiana.
Valparaiso (2-0) shot 13-of-24 from three-point range as a team, using the dribble-drive to effectively penetrate the Northern Illinois (0-2) defense and create open shots on the perimeter.
Turnovers plagued the Crusaders in the first half and kept Northern Illinois within seven at halftime, but better ball protection in the second half helped Valparaiso widen the gap.
Guard Matt Kenney added 16 points for the Crusaders on 6-of-8 shooting.
Northern Illinois has been without perhaps its best player, Abdul Nader, who was suspended Friday for an unspecified number of games for violating team rules. He averaged 10.4 points and 4.2 rebounds per game last season as a freshman.
The Huskies shot just 29 percent from the field and had just one player in double figures. Aksel Bolin narrowly missed a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds.
Valparaiso, the Horizon League favorites this season, take on their first BCS opponent when they meet Nebraska on Thursday.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)