Nov 13, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT
On Friday, the NCAA announced that star UCLA recruit Shabazz Muhammad was ineligible to play, but they didn’t really elaborate beyond that.
How long is he out? Can he ever play in college? When will an official announcement be made? No one knows.
What we do know, however is how the Muhammad family feels about it. They released a statement to the LA Times this afternoon saying, more or less, we didn’t do anything wrong, and what we did do wrong, the NCAA had already ok’d.
The full statement can be read here, but I’ll pull the important quote:
Last Friday, the NCAA released a Press Release which not only was wrong in its conclusions but which also inaccurately portrayed the investigation process in this case. For over a year, the NCAA has known all of the relevant facts related to its ruling last Friday. Prior to the unofficial visits in question, Ron Holmes and Ben Lincoln received approval from NCAA (through its member universities) for Mr. Lincoln (who has had a continuous close friendship with Shabazz’s family since 2007) to pay for airline tickets and hotel rooms. In 2010, Mr. Holmes openly and honestly revealed to the NCAA the source of the payments on the NCAA’s compliance form.
I almost feel bad for Shabazz at this point. He did what he did, but the NCAA owes him an answer. The season has started. UCLA has already played a game. The NCAA needs to tell him what his punishment will be.
Enough with the nonsense already. If anyone in any other profession hit deadlines at the same rate as the NCAA, they wouldn’t be working in that profession anymore.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)