Nov 13, 2012, 7:18 AM EDT
Coach Johnny Dawkins and the Stanford Cardinals probably let heavy underdog Cal State Fullerton keep the game too close for too long in the late hours of Monday, leading into Tuesday morning at Maples Pavilion.
But with a 56-50 lead and under 12 minutes remaining, sophomore guard Chasson Randle helped spur a 23-5 run over the next seven minutes that sealed the game and helped the Cardinals to an 81-63 victory.
Randle finished with 24 points and his backcourt mate, Aaron Bright, added 16 points and four assists.
“I thought it was a combination of our speed and size,” Dawkins said after the game. “I thought our guys did a good job defensively in the first half. We tried to make them take some difficult shots. They made some tough shots, they have some very good guards and it showed.”
Dwight Powell, a 6-10 native of Toronto, had his second straight strong campaign of the 2012-13 season, finishing with a double-double of 14 points and 12 rebounds. He had 27 points and seven rebounds in Stanford’s season-opening win against San Francisco.
Powell’s effort was part of a 36-29 Stanford advantage on the glass, including 12-5 on the offensive boards.
“I think we have guys who should be able to play consistently throughout the year, and I think nights like Dwight had the other night could be normal,” Bright said. “Him putting up 20 points, Chasson putting up 20-plus points, I think we have guys who are able to play like that consistently throughout the year.”
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)