Nov 13, 2012, 8:42 AM EST
Reigning America East regular-season champion Stony Brook overcame a second-half drought and late push from Rider to hold off the Broncs, 54-46, in Lawrenceville, N.J., Tuesday morning.
Stony Brook freshman Jameel Warney scored nine points and grabbed nine rebounds in the victory. Guards Dave Coley and Anthony Jackson led the scoring for the Seawolves with 12 points apiece.
After leading by 11 as the game neared halftime, Stony Brook went scoreless for a six-minute stretch in the middle of the second half, allowing Rider to tie the game with just over four minutes remaining.
Rider guard Nurideen Lindsey, who transferred from St. John’s last season and was granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA, keyed the comeback in the second half. He finished with 17 points and four rebounds.
Stony Brook adjusted well to Rider’s pressure defense after the Broncs tied the game late in the second half, going on a 13-5 run to end the game and secure the victory.
The Seawolves improve to 3-0 on the season and have five days to rest before returning to the floor Nov. 18 against Sacred Heart.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)