Nov 13, 2012, 8:42 AM EDT
Reigning America East regular-season champion Stony Brook overcame a second-half drought and late push from Rider to hold off the Broncs, 54-46, in Lawrenceville, N.J., Tuesday morning.
Stony Brook freshman Jameel Warney scored nine points and grabbed nine rebounds in the victory. Guards Dave Coley and Anthony Jackson led the scoring for the Seawolves with 12 points apiece.
After leading by 11 as the game neared halftime, Stony Brook went scoreless for a six-minute stretch in the middle of the second half, allowing Rider to tie the game with just over four minutes remaining.
Rider guard Nurideen Lindsey, who transferred from St. John’s last season and was granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA, keyed the comeback in the second half. He finished with 17 points and four rebounds.
Stony Brook adjusted well to Rider’s pressure defense after the Broncs tied the game late in the second half, going on a 13-5 run to end the game and secure the victory.
The Seawolves improve to 3-0 on the season and have five days to rest before returning to the floor Nov. 18 against Sacred Heart.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights