Nov 14, 2012, 3:36 PM EST
Louisville officially recognized the five members of its 2013 recruiting class with a press release Wednesday, hours after they signed letters of intent to play for Rick Pitino and the Cardinals.
Below are video highlights of each prospect, along with input from Pitino about each player.
Akoy Agau | F | 6-9 | 240 lbs. (Video Highlights)
“As soon as I saw Akoy, I immediately wanted to see him in a Louisville uniform,” Pitino said in a release. “He’s a triple-threat guy — he scores, passes and handles it very well. He has a very high basketball IQ. He’s won three straight high school championships and that’s the type of player we look for: someone who is conditioned to win. We’re very excited to have him.”
Anton Gill | G | 6-4 | 185 lbs. (Video Highlights)
“Anton is a very gifted athlete who we’ve known for quite some time,” Pitino said. “He shoots it and runs the floor extremely well. He’s a left-hander who is good off the bounce and scores. We’re thrilled to have him as a Cardinal.”
Chris Jones | 5-10 | 195 lbs. (Video Highlights)
“I feel Chris is the best point guard (prospect) in the nation,” Pitino said. “He’s as explosive a point guard at both ends of the floor as I’ve ever recruited. He’s a prolific scorer, tougher than nails, and is a big-time winner. I’m not sure what phase of his game is the best because he’s a great passer, a great rebounder at 5-10, big-time steal guy, big-time scorer and wants to win as much as any player I’ve ever recruited. We needed to have a great one replace Peyton Siva and we have it in Chris Jones.”
Terry Rozier | G | 6-1 | 165 lbs. (Video Highlights)
“Terry is someone we were counting on for this year, but needed a year in prep school,” Pitino said. “He’s an explosive scorer and athlete who plays two positions. He’s a very good on-the-ball defender. We thought he was one of the best guards in the nation last year and is having an outstanding season at Hargrave.”
Mangok Mathiang | C | 6-10 | 210 lbs. (Video Highlights)
“We could not have signed a high school player this year as good as Mangok,” said Pitino. “He gets a year of practice under his belt with us before joining this class on the court next season.”
Note: Mathiang is practicing with the team this season and will have four years of eligibility at the start of the 2013-14 season.
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 0
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Congratulations to Dickie V on 35 years of broadcasting (VIDEO) (2)
- VCU’s half court scoring issues becoming a concern? (2)