Nov 14, 2012, 12:58 AM EDT
ATLANTA – Kentucky head coach John Calipari is never afraid to pick a fight, and he did just that on Tuesday night.
Interviewed on ESPN at halftime, Cal told Andy Katz that “Duke is flopping all over the place and if they were in the NBA they would be getting fined.”
Combining a well-known stereotype with a well-timed pop-culture reference? Cal could have made it as a stand-up comic. I’m sure of it.
Coach K was asked about the comment in the postgame press conference and, safe to say, he was non-plussed.
“I really don’t pay attention, not just to John, but to other coaches. I don’t really care” he said. “He has a right to say whatever he wants. I thought we took some amazing charges and probably could have taken a couple more. There’s a difference between a charge and a flop. A flop means you don’t take any contact, and I hope that anybody who watches the game would say our kids played good defense.”
“And we don’t make any money so we can’t be fined.”
Cal? Well, he tried to play it off as a joke.
“I don’t even remember. What did I say? It was a joke. You guys at Duke can take a joke, right? Sheesh.”
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)