Nov 14, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Providence guard Vincent Council will be sidelined for 4-5 weeks as he recovers from a hamstring injury he suffered against NJIT, the Providence Journal is reporting.
Council played only five minutes against NJIT Saturday before going down with the injury. He already sat out the Friars’ blowout win over Bryant on Monday, and could miss up to seven more games.
If the timeline plays out and he misses the maximum amount of time, Council could have to sit out games against UMass, Fairfield, Holy Cross, Mississippi State, Rhode Island, Colgate, and Boston College.
Coach Ed Cooley and the Friars have been bitten by the injury bug this season, already losing out on star freshman Kris Dunn for the start of the year as he recovers from a shoulder injury.
Ricky Ledo, another piece of Providence’s strong 2012 recruiting class, was ruled ineligible to play by the NCAA and will miss out on game action in 2012-13.
The Friars were picked to finish last in the Big East in the preseason coaches’ poll. They return to the court Thursday against UMass.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)