Nov 14, 2012, 10:20 AM EST
Providence guard Vincent Council will be sidelined for 4-5 weeks as he recovers from a hamstring injury he suffered against NJIT, the Providence Journal is reporting.
Council played only five minutes against NJIT Saturday before going down with the injury. He already sat out the Friars’ blowout win over Bryant on Monday, and could miss up to seven more games.
If the timeline plays out and he misses the maximum amount of time, Council could have to sit out games against UMass, Fairfield, Holy Cross, Mississippi State, Rhode Island, Colgate, and Boston College.
Coach Ed Cooley and the Friars have been bitten by the injury bug this season, already losing out on star freshman Kris Dunn for the start of the year as he recovers from a shoulder injury.
Ricky Ledo, another piece of Providence’s strong 2012 recruiting class, was ruled ineligible to play by the NCAA and will miss out on game action in 2012-13.
The Friars were picked to finish last in the Big East in the preseason coaches’ poll. They return to the court Thursday against UMass.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 0
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 0
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)