Nov 14, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
I hope you all enjoyed the Tip-Off Marathon. Today is a “Rest & Recovery” day. But here’s what’s going on in today’s Morning Mix:
Wednesday’s Top Games:
7:00 p.m. – St. Bonaventure’s @ Cornell (NBC Sports Network)
7:00 p.m. – No.22 Wisconsin @ No.10 Florida
8:00 p.m. – Santa Clara @ Saint Louis
8:00 p.m. – Toledo @ Northern Iowa
8:00 p.m. – Western Illinois @ SIU-Edwardsville
8:05 p.m. – UAB @ N0.15 Creighton
Wichita State able to outlast VCU’s havoc, grabs hard-fought 53-51 win: In a rematch of last season’s NCAA tournament first round game, the Shockers of Wichita State were able to overcome the intense pressure of VCU’s patented “HAVOC” defense. Oregon-transfer Malcolm Armstead hit a jumper with 3.8 seconds left in the second half to give the Shockers a solid road win.
Lackluster performance against Xavier raises concerns about Butler Bulldogs: Butler’s offense struggled to click in the 62-47 loss to a thin Xavier squad. Sharpshooter Rotnei Clarke struggled to run the offense, and big-man Andrew Smith didn’t get enough touches. Maybe we were wrong to pour on so much preseason love for the Bulldogs.
Keith Appling’ game-winning bucket proves that he can be the Spartan’s leader: Keith Appling’s last-second lay-up in heavy traffic gave the Michigan State Spartans a 67-64 in the opening game of the Champions Classic. The junior showed poise and confidence and looks to be the leading candidate to fill the void left by the graduation of Draymond Green.
Shabazz Muhammad’s family releases statement: The family of ineligible UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad released a statement to the LA Times disputing many of the NCAA’s claims. The high-profile freshman has had his eligibility status in limbo for the last three months, and it was announced last Friday that the NCAA was denying him eligibility.
– San Diego State freshman Winston Sheppard suspended three games for taking improper benefits (Eye on College Basketball)
- Kansas picked up their fifth recruit from the class of 2013 in the form of 7-footer Joel Embiid (Kansas City Star)
Observations & Analysis:
– UMass’s Sampson Carter hit a buzzer-beater to knock off Harvard as part of the Tip-Off Marathon (The Dagger)
- The Washington Huskies dropped a head-scratching loss to the Albany Danes on Tuesday, which is the first of what we imagine to be many ugly non-conference losses for pac-12 teams (Seattle Times)
- With star guard Vincent Council going down with an injury, Providence fans must be very grateful that Bryce Cotton ultimately decided against transferring (Rush The Court)
- Princeton struggled with Northeastern, but it became evident that Ian Hummer is the Ivy League’s top performer (New Jersey Hoops Haven)
Odds & Ends:
– Texas-Arlington doesn’t get many high-profile home games. So with the Oklahoma Sooners on the way into town, the atmosphere is already starting to buzz (Dallas Star-Telegram)
- St. John’s Jakarr Sampson airball’d a lay-up. You just hate to see that happen. (Big East Coast Bias)
- At halftime of the Champions Classic game between Duke and Kentucky, John Calipari said that the Duke players were flopping and would be suspended if they played in the NBA. He was clearly joking, but nobody knew it. (The Dagger)
Video(s) of the Day:
The Tip-Off Marathon featured a bevy of highlight reel dunks, led by Detroit’s Doug Anderson and Kansas’ Jamari Traylor (Ballin’ is a Habit)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Oct 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Mike Young has seen the Wofford men’s basketball program come a long way since he first joined the coaching staff back in 1989.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
A three-star commit on Friday night, a top-70 pledge on Saturday morning. This has been a big weekend for first-year head coach Mike Rhoades.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A story from Syracuse.com says the first-year big man does up to 500 pushups daily.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
This is Danny Manning’s third commitment this month, first in the Class of 2016.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Davidson is gone, but that does not mean that the SoCon will be a bad basketball league.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Only three programs remain in contention for the nation’s top rated point guard.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Pretty good dunk, but still not better than Chris Mack’s entrance.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame coach makes his first comments, several days after Kenneth Wainstein released his report.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Tom Izzo does it again. Add it to the long line of amazing midnight madness entrances.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Chris Mack and his daughters performed ‘Paul Revere’ at Musketeer Madness on Friday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
One of the nation’s highly-touted bigs is closer to making a decision after eliminating two programs from his list.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Jones became the second coach to lead LSU to postseason appearances in his first two years this past spring.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Kellogg’s led his alma mater to 21 wins or more in each of the last three seasons.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Georgetown holds a 35-29 lead in their all-time series with UConn.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Villanova went 29-5 last season and return essentially the same lineup. Why aren’t more people talking about them?
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)