Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 PM EST
Ben Howland announced on Wednesday that UCLA has officially appealed the NCAA’s ruling in regard to Shabazz Muhammad’s eligibility.
The appeal is expected to be heard on Friday, and if the appeals committee sides with the Bruins, Muhammad could become immediately eligible. That, according to the LA Times, could end up happening on Friday as well. Since the season has already begun, the process will be expedited. UCLA will play Georgetown in the Legends Classic in New York on Monday. (I’ll be covering that game, so I’m hoping he gets eligible.)
Muhammad was ruled ineligible by the NCAA just hours before the Bruins kicked off their season against Indiana State last Friday. He was found to have received illegal benefits in order to take unofficial visits to North Carolina and Duke while he was being recruited. The NCAA did not make a final ruling, however, they simply said that Shabazz was not ineligible while they continued their investigation.
The Muhammad family released a statement on Monday that said, among other things, that the NCAA had already approved the payment.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)