Nov 15, 2012, 1:45 AM EDT
Games of the Day
1. Fresno State 39, UC-Riverside 30: Yeah, no. This is called sarcasm. The Bulldogs outlasted UCR in one of the ugliest games we’ll see this season. The two teams shot 26.1% (23-88) from the floor, while managing to turn the ball over 31 times. The score was actually 32-27 with just over a minute left before a late “flurry”. Think about this: Fresno State shot 28.2% from the floor, and managed to grab just four offensive rebounds. To get all Kenpom on you, their offensive rebounding percentage was 8.88%. That’s what happens when the team you’re playing manages to post 0.518 PPP.
Allen Huddleston led the way with 17 points, which was more than either team had at halftime, when the score 13-11.
2. Northern Iowa 84, Toledo 81 OT: The Panthers opened up a seven-point lead at one point in the second half, but the Rockets weren’t going anywhere. After trading baskets down the stretch, UNI sophomore Deon Mitchell hit a jumper with 32.8 seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 70. The end of the overtime was a flurry of excitement. I’ll let UNI’s website explain:
However, Toledo’s Brown buried a 3-pointer with 11.8 seconds left to set the stage for a frantic finish. UNI was unable to get ball in-bounds and was whistled for a five-second call giving the ball back to Toledo. But Tuttle intercepted the Rocket’s in-bounds pass and was fouled with 10.5 seconds left. Tuttle made both free throws to improve the Panthers’ lead to 84-81.
Mitchell and fellow sophomore Seth Tuttle combined for 48 points on 14-20 shooting.
3. Delaware State 73, Wagner 69 OT: Wagner forced the overtime on this bucket with 0.6 seconds left in regulation. After taking a three point lead in the extra frame, Del State scored the final seven points of the game.
1. Santa Clara 74, St. Louis 62: We talked about the importance of this loss for the Billikens here, but SCU’s win shouldn’t simply be glossed over. After taking an 0-fer in league play a season ago, the Broncs have Marc Trasolini healthy again and Kevin Foster once again eligible to play alongside Evan Roquemore. A lot of people thought they could make a run in the WCC last year. Could this be the season they sneak up on the league?
1. Kevin Foster, Santa Clara: In that win over St. Louis, Foster finished with 30 points, five assists and seven steals. He also had seven turnovers, but no one else on SCU managed to score more than nine points.
2. Seth Tuttle and Deon Mitchell, Northern Iowa: Playing without leading returning scorer Anthony James, the Panthers got a huge boost from these two sophomores. They combined to score 48 points on just 20 shots from the field.
3a. Erik Murphy, Florida: 24 points and eight boards. 10-10 from the field. 2-2 from the line. A 74-56 win over No. 22 Wisconsin. Not a bad night.
3b. Gregory Echenique, Creighton: He had 13 points on 5-5 shooting, 16 boards and four blocks for the Bluejays in a win over UAB.
1. Wisconsin’s D: Florida hit 18 of their first 22 shots and coasted to an 18 point win.
2. Everyone on Presbyterian not named Khalid Mutakabbir: He finished with 13 points and seven assists. The Blue Hose lost to Georgia Tech 52-38. Mutakabbir had a hand in all but four of Presbyterian’s field goals and made all but one of their free throws. And he didn’t even play all that well, going just 4-11 with five turnovers. Yeesh.
3. Fresno State and UC-Riverside: They were really, really bad.
1. Greg Whittington had 18 points, nine boards, four assists and two steals to lead Georgetown to a win over Liberty with Otto Porter laid up with a concussion. He was 8-13 from the floor, but 0-5 from three.
2. No. 15 Creighton erased a 10 point second half deficit in the blink of an eye thanks to Josh Jones. He scored 10 straight to tie the game and finished with all 18 of his points in the second half as the Bluejays eventually won 77-60. Most importantly, Creighton won despite getting just five points on 2-6 shooting from all-american Doug McDermott.
3. There with 32 games played on Wednesday. Eight involved a non-Division I team. Two more included provisional D-I’s Nebraska-Omaha and Northern Kentucky. Other than the Florida-Wisconsin game, there were four BCS conference schools in action, and of them, only Georgetown has a prayer of making the tournament. The only other ranked team in action was Creighton. Yeah. Slow night.
May 25, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Lamar and head coach Pat Knight announced on Friday the signing of three junior college players to add to Lamar’s latest recruiting class. The Cardinals will add a pair of forwards in Octavius Green and Tyran de Lattibeaudiere, and also add potential All-Name Team member and point guard Nimrod Hilliard. Lamar had previously signed junior…
May 25, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Oregon State senior forward Joe Burton will graduate from the school in June after a four-year career and over 1,000 points scored. But although many college players with such a pedigree look to play professional basketball after their careers end — as Burton will also do — Burton’s mother said that he could also go…
May 24, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
With Javon McCrea and Cameron Downing entering their senior campaign at Buffalo, first-year head coach Bobby Hurley can use some additional front court depth that will benefit the Bulls in 2014. Hurley’s numbers received a boost on Friday afternoon, as it was reported by Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com that former Marshall forward Jamir Hanner has…
May 24, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
According to the Idaho Statesman, Boise State freshman forward Vukasin Vujovic has decided to leave the program. In his one season at Boise State, the native of Serbia saw action in just nine of the Broncos’ 32 games. In those nine games the 6-9 Vujovic averaged just 4.0 minutes and 1.4 points per game. Vujovic’s…
May 24, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
When it was announced just over a month ago that Central Connecticut State leading scorer Kyle Vinales would look to transfer, the biggest factor in his decision was a desire to reach postseason play. Vinales, who averaged nearly 22 points per game as a sophomore, at one point tweeted his decision to transfer to Toledo only…
May 24, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
With the recent news that former Purdue forward Sandi Marcius would transfer to DePaul, it was only a matter of time before the other shoe dropped in this scenario. That would be Donnavan Kirk looking to finish his collegiate career at another institution. On Friday the school announced that it has granted Kirk permission to…
May 24, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
Last November the organizers of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off announced its completed eight-team field, with programs such as Florida State, Georgetown and Michigan being confirmed participants. Also among the eight teams: Auburn. But apparently something changed with the Tigers’ schedule, leading to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN.com that Northeastern would be the eighth…
May 24, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
During the spring multiple allegations surfaced regarding Green Bay head coach Brian Wardle’s treatment of some of his players, and some of the charges went well beyond the use of profane language. In one instance former center Ryan Bross alleged that he was forced to run sprints until ultimately soiling his shorts, despite stating the…
May 24, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
In an appearance on “The Dan Patrick Show” this morning, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski discusses topics such as his decision to return as head coach of the US men’s national team for the 2016 Summer Olympics and his future at Duke. Also of note were Krzyzewski’s comments on incoming freshman Jabari Parker, stating that…
May 24, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Earlier this week an advertisement for Calhoun’s BBQ done by former Tennessee basketball player Steven Pearl hit the airwaves, and it included a reference to current Ohio State point guard Aaron Craft. But that reference has led to the compliance department at Ohio State getting involved, looking to make sure it’s clear that there was…
May 24, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
In the aftermath of Sheldon Jeter’s decision to transfer from Vanderbilt it was reported that Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings was blocking Pittsburgh as a possible destination. Some assumed that tampering was the reason for the move, but according to a report by Andy Katz of ESPN.com that may not be the case. Regardless of…
May 24, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
With the graduation of leading scorers Brandon Paul and D.J. Richardson, there was a chance that 6-6 forward Myke Henry would see more opportunities to produce for Illinois in 2013-14. However it seems as if the Chicago native won’t be around to realize such possibilities, as it was reported by the Champaign News-Gazette that Henry…
May 23, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
Head coach Alan Major led the Charlotte basketball program to its first 20-win season since 2008 this past year, as the 49ers won 21 games and received a bid to the Postseason NIT. Next up for Major’s program is Conference USA, and the former Ohio State assistant will make the move with a new contract…
May 23, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
While the head coaching carousel is the focus every offseason the many changes within a coaching staff can also have an impact. At Colorado, head coach Tad Boyle is fortunate to have led the same staff for each of his three seasons in Boulder, resulting in the most successful stretch in the history of the…
May 23, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The eight-team field for the 2013 Cancun Challenge is finally set, with 2013 NCAA tournament participants Saint Louis and Wisconsin headlining the field. The event will feature two four-team fields, with the Billikens and Badgers being joined by Old Dominion and West Virginia in the Riviera Division. The Mayan Division bracket consists of Bowling Green,…
May 23, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
With four departures (Butler, Charlotte, Temple and Xavier) and one arrival (George Mason), the Atlantic 10 Conference will have 13 members for the 2013-14 academic year with Davidson joining in 2014. Those changes have brought about another for the conference: beginning next season, all members will play in the Atlantic 10 tournament at the Barclays…
May 23, 2013, 5:26 PM EDT
While much of this past season was spent lamenting the changing of the Big East, another result of conference realignment was the improvement of the Atlantic Coast Conference’s basketball product. Sure Duke and North Carolina managed to carry their share of the load in the years following the move from nine to 12 schools, but…
May 23, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski made it official on Thursday afternoon: he’ll be coaching Team USA basketball through at least the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. That’s been known for almost a week now. The interesting bit of news that came out of his press conference on Thursday afternoon had nothing to do with…
May 23, 2013, 1:56 PM EDT
I’m not sure there is a coach in the country that is better at developing players in his program than Bill Self at Kansas. Over the years, the best players that have come through Lawrence during his tenure have been moderately recruited — i.e. somewhere around the top 40 or top 50 of most lists…
May 23, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Cody Larson’s basketball career never got off the ground in Florida. After redshirting as a freshman, Larson was involved in a bizarre incident along with a team manager and Erik Murphy where he tried to break into a car after sneaking into a bar after closing time to inquire about a lost wallet. After being…
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy